Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oswhnr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2003
I'm new to Mac and thought it would be like my PC...not :) So...I made some mistakes but have no idea how to correct them. I had planned on transferring my video tape to an external hard drive on the mac but the machine locked up. I got a little flashing folder and I did everything that I could according to the very small info that came with the computer. Nothing worked. Trying to reinstall the software didn't do any good, trying to reinstall os 9 didn't do anygood either. Finally I installed osX but now have TWO operating systems on my computer with the added problem of not being able to use Imovie at all (the software that came with it wouldn't reinstall) and I cannot use idvd either. My question is this....how does one start over? In a pc I can format my hard drive and reinstall windows...is this an option on a mac? Or should I delete os 9 and hope for the best? hope that I can install the software that came with it? And if I should uninstall, how does one go about that? And how does one get the computer to operate if it won't even allow the reset button? I'm going to stop there with the questions. I think I will take this Mac thing one step at a time. Thank you!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
you can definitely do what is called a "clean install" if there is nothing on the computer you need and don't have a backup of. this would be the equivalent of your formatting and reinstalling windows.

put the OS cd in the drive and then restart while holding down the "c" key. the computer will boot from cd. follow the instructions, and choose "clean install." that should make things nice and happy.

as far as what happened to your computer, i have no idea, but someone else here probably has at least a guess.

oswhnr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2003
thank you :)

Hey, that's a good start! There is nothing on the computer at this time that hasn't been saved elsewhere, or that can't be reinstalled at a later date. I will go for osx and go from there. Thanks much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.