Help: OS compatibility for my iMAC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Atif, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Atif macrumors newbie

Dear MAC Gurus,
    I am frustrated to a point of dumping my iMAC.. I am running OX S 10.3.9
    on my iMAC.
    Lately I can't find any damn thing that would run on 10.3
    all software even plug in want 10.4 or later...

I can't view Youtube..
    I can't download flash (it ask for 10.4 or later)
    I can't download Safari or Firefix that would work..

So I tried to find 10.4 or 10.5 ... I can't find it
    People selling restore CDs but I don't know if these will work
    I have a 20" iMAC Power PC 1.25 GHZ 1 GB RAM
    This is more than enough for what I need to do with this MAC

I do not use any other stuff I just want to be able to run my program (music software) and use browser... is This too much to ask from Mr.Apple?

No mater what you MAC guru says... Windows rocks despite of all problems Microsoft doesn't screw you up like this and force you to buy propreitery every thing...

Sorry folks I am frustrated and need help.. before this MAC sees the dumpster.

Regards

Atif

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

Hey, sorry you're having issues. However, please keep in mind that your iMac is over four years old (If it's a G4, I'd say over five). It makes sense that it might have some issues running current applications.

That being said, here's a link to purchase Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5).

Both of those links are pointing to Amazon.com search pages so you can comparison shop. You might also check out eBay. Keep in mind you're looking for a full retail version. Restore DVDs are iffy and so-called "upgrade" discs are mislabeled.

You might also look into purchasing a Mac Box Set (10.5 Leopard Edition). It includes Leopard, iLife 09, and iWork 09.

Also, if you choose Leopard, you should check out Crucial or OtherWorld Computing for a RAM upgrade.

3. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I don't see how this is a Mac only issue. When was the last time you've seen current software supporting Windows 98 or 95? The reason why XP is still so well supported is that many Windows users have not upgraded from XP due to Vista problems. If you want to be disgruntle at least have a legitimate reason. Apple does have problems but your issues is not specifically Mac only.

There are copies of 10.5 still being sold as ingenious pointed out so apparently you haven't tried looking hard enough. Make sure it is a full retail disc and not a "restore" disk as you said (the ones that comes with people's computers). You can also buy the family pack version if that ends up being cheaper.

If you are planning on keeping your computer even longer then you might as well go straight to Leopard and with a RAM upgrade you will probably be able to use your current computer a few more years since it sounds like you don't do a lot of intensive computer work. Leopard is the highest you can go with a Power PC.