Help! OS-X 10.5 Can't get mapped drive to work properly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nizmoz, Jun 14, 2009.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I am new to a MAC and always worked on PC's for IT work. I decided to purchase a MAC for myself to play and learn. Well I would like to connect to my work servers and after hours of messing with it, I figured out the SMB part and got it on. Now I can't figure out why it only is accepting the IP address of the server and not the name. For example:

smb://10.x.x.x/data Works

But this doesn't.

smb://ntserver3/data

Why? I would like to get this working so then I can map the drives automatically. But also I notice when I mapped the IP it mapped it to the root of the server instead of the actual folder. Any ideas how to hide the server but only show the folder?

Thanks!

2. chaostheory639 macrumors newbie

Interesting predicament, as far as I know the SMB address must contain the IP address otherwise OS X will not recognize it as an intranet address.

3. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

After a ton of researching, I was able to finally figure it out. When you are over the VPN and on the internet network, you need to use the following way in the Connect to Server for it to work without a problem.

smb://server.domain.com

This is the only way I was able to get it to work on ours, and it seems for others once I found the post here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080307092123215

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Now the only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to have alias's for different mounted volumes work for each of them. But when I make them, it only opens up one of them and not the other. The other one will open up the most recent volume and that is it. :(