HELP! OS X Reinstall not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattridgely, Jun 16, 2015.

1. mattridgely macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 MBP and a couple of weeks ago, I got the blinking ? folder on boot up. The HD wasn't recognized in Disk Utility so I assumed that the HD was dead. I bought a Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive (CT256MX100SSD1) off of Amazon and installed it. I don't have a OS X Installation disk so I booted using Option Control R into internet recovery. Went to disk utility to erase the new SSD and then went to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion, selected the new SSD as the location and started the install. On the Install OS X Mountain Lion page it gives an estimated time remaining of 15 hours so I let it run all day yesterday only to have it get down to about 9 hours and then go to that blinking ? folder again. I tried the same process over night, still gave a 15 hour estimated time and, in the morning, I woke up to a blinking ? Folder.

I know that it should not be taking this long to install the OS X and I've ruled out the internet connection being the issue. I have a bootable USB with Yosemite on it but the computer does not recognize that when you boot with the option key...it ends up pushing you back to internet recovery.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next. Any ideas?

2. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Might be the cable, I've seen some threads here where the older Macs had some failing SATA cable failures.

4. mattridgely thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good thought @Vermifuge @maflynn. I have zero experience with SATA cables but I feel like I've ruled out just about everything I've had experience with.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Here's another suggestion:

Buy a USB3 external drive enclosure. Here's a decent one:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VKTJGW...UTF8&colid=R75PP4I2A0BE&coliid=I3DOKZ31SP7539

Put the OLD drive into the enclosure and connect it to the Macbook.

Boot and hold down the option key until the startup manager appears.

You may not see the boot icon for the internal SSD (if it's a bad software install), but you might see an icon representing the OLD drive now in the external case.

Do you see that?

If so, select it by using the arrow keys and hit return.

What happens now?

Why it's worth trying this:
    IF the ribbon cable inside the Macbook is defective, it could keep an otherwise good drive from booting.
    By checking that drive in an EXTERNAL enclosure, it may still be bootable.
    In any case, it's worth having an external drive for backups...

6. mattridgely thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call @Fishrrman. I don't have one handy but I'll get my hands on one. Stay tuned.