Help! OSX won't boot after installing Ubuntu

Discussion in 'macOS' started by epsilon707, Aug 20, 2012.

1. epsilon707 macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    I'm sure most of you will laugh at my story, but I wasn't the smartest tool in the shed here. I tried installing Ubuntu following a guide that said to use rEFIt. I'm running OSX 10.8 on MBP 8,1 (Or atleast I was).

Unfortunately rEFIt didn't pickup on my 12.04 disc that I burned when I put it in. :(

So, I went to the menu that you access by holding down option while booting up (Dawrin?). Anyways I got to that and two discs popped up. One labeled Windows and the Other was "EFI Boot", I believe. I remember it had "EFI". Anyways, I did this and got into ubuntu, and it worked great.

Until, I realized the wifi didn't have a driver, so I went to boot back into OSX, upon restarting GRUB came up in purple. I tried booting into x64 OSX, but my screen turned black and the computer beeped 3 times in a row, paused, then again and again. This happened until I forced shutdown.

So OSX (Darwin?) won't boot up :( If you guys know how I could fix this without wiping my harddrive, I'd be VERY VERY VERY thankful

Thanks in advance :confused:
  2. stchman macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    If I am not mistaken, you were supposed to use BootCamp to create space for Ubuntu. After that OS X is the boot manager and not GRUB.