Help - Otterbox case for 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tyler23, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Trying to decide if I want to go Otterbox, and if so, Defender or Commuter?

Anyone here have an Otterbox for their 4S (or other for that matter)? I've heard complaints for both cases about the rubber stretching and no longer fitting after just a few months. Other reviews are absolutely great, so not sure what to believe or what to expect.

Help is very appreciated :cool:

2. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Defender looks so stupid unless you work in construction. Plus its so rubbery that its a pain to get it out of your pocket. Commuter is okay, less rubber issues. But don't get white or gray anything, they get SO dirty.

3. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Look at the ballistic hardcore. It's a better product if you need something that protective.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I bought the defender for my 4 originally. I used it exactly once. If you need military grade protection then you do get what you pay for. If you don't, and lets face it, most people do not, then it's ugly and way way over the top.

I gave mine to a buddy who DOES need that much protection, and bought myself a stilgut leather case.

My 4S, which will be replaced with the 5 has remained scratch and damage free. The Otterbox stuff is good, don't get me wrong, it's just overkill for most.

5. dthree36 macrumors regular

Wife has the defender... to big bulky... not for me. I have tried several different cases and now I gave in and got the commuter. I love it. Provides protection and is slimmer than the defender. Screen protection is kind of a mute point for me. Does covering the top part of the screen and bottom part really provide that much more protection... well the integrated screen guard is nice on the defender but I like the commuter's feel and design better..

I basically bought it because it protects the headphone jack and the dock connector. I am constantly getting lint or other small particles from my pockets in those ports. And despite my best efforts to not drop my phone... well... I can attest that the Commuter has protected my phone form a 3 foot drop onto uneven asphalt to great satisfaction.

6. hockey17 macrumors regular

I have the reflex on mine now. amazing case. favorite case I've had. I really don't like the hole in the back of the other cases, just another spot for dirt and dust to get in.

With that being said, I actually ordered the commuter for my 5 b/c the reflex isn't available yet. I will get the reflex once it's an option.

and also, the defender is really so pointless for everyday use.

7. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

How long have you had your commuter? I've heard that the silicone starts to stretch and starts popping out, which I feel would get annoying. Then again, won't they just send a free replacement?

8. cashville2400 macrumors member

cashville2400

I have had a commuter since I got my phone about 6-8 months ago and I love it. I have thought about getting another case just to change it up a little, but I can't find another I like as much as this one. I haven't had any problems with it stretching either.

9. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Lifeproof is the way to go. Thats what I"m getting for my iphone 5 when it comes out in Dec.

10. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I've heard about otterbox sendin free replacements for their cases if they damage or accumulate wear and tear. Is that for the defender only, or the commuter as well?

11. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

12. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

they warranty all there stuff , call them or fill out contact form and they will take care of it also call them which is fastest way like I did.

13. jester0723 macrumors regular

That's what they did for my droid a couple years ago. I know they changed their iPhone 4/4s design to one that was more resistant to the rubber tearing.

Most of my friends with iPhones have the Defender case. One or two have the lifeproof, but I don't like that because it makes it hard to hear. I'm starting with the Defender for my 5 and if it is overkill maybe I'll return it and get a Commuter, which is what my girlfriend and sister have.