Help out a chump/idiot, why not....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idea_hamster, Mar 7, 2008.

1. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

OK, so not backing stuff up is for suckers and dopes -- lesson learned.

Now, I'm about to plug my iPhone back into my newly booted Mac with a new, functioning HD -- what can I expect?

I'm expecting to lose any music and video on my iPhone. Does anyone have experience using any of those iPod extractor programs with an iPhone?

Also, what about notes, contacts, and Safari bookmarks? I'd be really pleased if I could save these. Will they get overwritten/lost? If so, is there some way to "extract" these?

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The system will ask you what you want to do. Traditionally, your contacts, calendar, and bookmarks will be added to those on the computer. IT WILL NOT just wipe everything from the iPhone without confirmation.

TEG

3. idea_hamster thread starter macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Sweet....

...now maybe I can get a SW update.

The music and video are (almost) all from CD, so no biggie there -- just convenience factor.

Cheers!

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This is not true. I just got my new iMac yesterday and when I plugged my iphone into it I was given the option to erase everything but not to transfer anything from phone to computer. I ended up having to resync all bookmarks, music, pictures and ringtones with the new mac.

As far as transferring music, I'd say Senuti (iTunes backwards; how clever) is your best bet. Worked great for me.

Edit: it DID transfer all of my contacts into address book. That was really my only real concern.