[Help] Outfitting me & my office with new hardware...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acidfast7, Nov 22, 2008.

1. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I hate to post a "what to buy" as a first thread, but I have somewhat of a unique situation.

Budget: roughly $4000.

What I do: I'm a researcher and would like to have (a) new computer(s) for home, office, and travel. I would also like automatic backup (in office) and syncing (if I buy more than one machine). I usually do web browsing, email, and a lot of writing. I do some image analysis. And rarely, I do some really heavy computational stuff that's demanding on the hardware. So, basically an slightly heavy office user.

When to buy: The dollar is worth more Swedish crowns than usual (so it's actually cheaper, for once, to buy stuff over here than in the US) so I'd like to buy ASAP.

How long: I get money every year for computers, but I'd like to buy now and use for approximately 3 years. I can upgrade software and hardware if necessary over that course, but I wouldn't like to make any other hardware purchases. Currently, I use a HP laptop with a 2.0GHz Pentium M.

My original plan:

Original plan was to buy a MacBookAir with the SSD (so that I can travel and work on planes and buses quite easily), a 24" cinema display, and a 1TB Time Capsule. However, I looked at the MacBookAir today and it didn't have a hole for a lock, like on my current laptop? And the iMac with a 20" display doesn't look that much more expensive than a 24" Cinema display.

So, now I'm leaning toward:

The nicer MacBook (lighted keyboard) for home/travel, the better 20" iMac for the office (I thought about the 24", but I share an office with 5 others ... lol academic appointments), and a 1TB Time Capsule for backing-up of the machines.

The questions ...

1. Is this what you'd do? If so, what are the advantages. If not, what am I missing?

2. I assume that I can have the Time Capsule do seamless backing-up of my office iMac. Is this correct?

3. Can I have certain work folders synced between machines? Is there software to do this remotely? Or can I have it complete the task every time I bring the MacBook into the office?

4. I've never owned an Apple laptop/desktop, what else should I look out for?

Thanks for your insight, it is greatly appreciated.

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F137 Safari/525.20)

Getting the nicest Macbook and an iMac would work, but you also might want to think about getting a Macbook Pro instead with a regular display and that way you wouldn't had to worry about syncing between machines. I'm not sure how much you travel so I don't know if a MBP would be too big, but if it isn't than that sounds like a good course of action. And yes, your computer(s) will automatically back up to the Time Capsule when you are there.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would look into a mac book pro.

But if you do need to sync this is an option: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/
    There is free alternatives as well. DropBox may help with this. (it also has a pay for level)

4. acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Thanks for the rapid responses.

oops ... i forgot to mention that I thought the MacBookPro was too big to carry around and use on public transit easily. I want something to work on a tray table in a plane or train ... or something that I can sling around with one hand on the sofa ... hence the MacBookAir.

The idea of NOT having a security lock is insane, it would last about 2 minutes before being stolen.

I'll have the big screen at work (for image editing) ... the laptop would be just for browsing, email, and some hardcore Word action when I feel inspired (which isn't too often lately).

I guess the other advantage of having an iMac and a MacBook is that I wouldn't need to even carry the MacBook/MacBookPro around if I could remotely sync.

edit: I usually travel by plane (1-2 times/month and usually bring the laptop ... conferences, seminars and stuff).

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd get the MBA and a 24" just for portability.

6. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I agree with this. Get the newest macbook air and deck it out with a nice 24" monitor and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

7. acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

You know, that was my initial idea.

But how do you lock down a MacBookAir in a common office? We've had a few laptop thefts.

Joking, my gf (another research) suggested that I close it and keep it in a stack of papers when I leave the office.

I'd really consider the MBA, but how do you lock it down?

8. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Just take it with you when youre not at your desk. Its light enough to do so. Or, get a tiny safe that can fit the computer in, put it to sleep, and stick it in there.

9. acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I'm probably in and out of the office at least 30 times/day (not joking here, the building kinda has a crappy design). Usually running between the office, the lab, and the coffee-pot/break room.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

11. jlwillia macrumors regular

If the dollar is worth more krona than normal, wouldn't this make U.S. products more expensive? For example, when 1USD=6SEK, a $1000 product would cost 6,000 krona.

Now, the dollar is worth more krona than usual (let's say 1USD=8.5 krona), so that $1000 product now costs 8,500 krona.

I guess this assumes that the product's price stays consistent with the US Dollar and not the Swedish Krona. I suppose an Apple store in Sweden sells its products in krona and stays fairly consistent in price? However, then you would only realize this exchange rate benefit if you earn US Dollars, right? If you earn krona and the price of goods (in krona) stays fairly consistent, you realize no benefit.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

13. acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Yeah, my research funding/salary is in US dollars and I usually buy stuff in Sweden. Last year, we made a trip back to the states, where my gf bought her blackbook (when the free iPod touch was included and with the exchange rate ... it was about 50% cheaper).

But you're right, the only reason I benefit is because my salary and research funding is in USD.

Anyways, everyone thanks for all the help.

14. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member