Help! Owc 6g ssd & 2011 iMac problems,

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ecstacy2012, May 25, 2011.

1. ecstacy2012, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

ecstacy2012 macrumors member

Hello I have followed the install guide on chargedpc for upgrading the 2011 iMac 27 inch 3.4ghz with an ssd. After i installed it, I load up osx on the hd drive and it shows the mercury pro 6g 120gb ssd but when I load the system disk to load operating system onto the drive it doesn't show up to select it nor does disk utility show the drive at all when booted into osx disk but if I load operating system up it shows?!? I switch it out with owc Sata 2 ssd that has operating system already on it and that one works fine. I did notice that the other in disk utility doesn't show ssd as this one does on the lower left and the old one has smart verified and the one not working says not supported? Anyone else use the new 6G owc ssd for the iMac ssd install or have anything that could help??

I know there are alot of brilliant problem solvers on here so anyone that can help me out please do! Thanks

2. ecstacy2012 thread starter macrumors member

update nothing is working but i did get it verified but still not showing as ssd for connection id in disk utility it seems to me that these are bad drives?? anyone that can help me out?

3. ecstacy2012 thread starter macrumors member

hey thanks for trying to help but please do your research this is untrue as many updates since that was written and plenty of people have done it without problems including me right now on sata 2 drive without any fan problems. this is more of a question for the advanced users thanks anyway!

4. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Did you format the SSD drive first before loading OSX?

5. ecstacy2012 thread starter macrumors member

6. HighSeasCaptain macrumors member

ecstacy, check my thread and see if my fix also works for you. I'm almost positive it will :D

7. ecstacy2012 thread starter macrumors member

high seas captains clone method worked! but still working on riading

8. mitch751 macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem with this OWC 6G SSD using on my 2009 MBP.

Now, I formatted it via USB connection, and can get recognized in MBP SATA II bay, having said that it takes long time to get read.

A bit disappointed, therefore, I installed in with my 2008 Mac Pro, it also get recognized and run/write quite fast, but I have not idea, the computer have been hanged twice since yesterday.

It is either it is not compatible with SATA II or it has its own problem i.e. firmware