Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoyotammo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi so here is my situation. Pages the application went ahead and got rid of all my .pages documents and I don't know if there is a way to retrieve them. So the Pages I'm using is version 4.3 and my macbook version is 10.8.4. The story goes on 28th July I made a .pages document with a table filled it in did all this work spend hours on it saved it and went to bed. Then on the 29th of July I woke up opened my laptop it was still there being a paranoid parrot I saved it again and closed it down. I then went off and did other things played games and stuff. A couple of hours later I opened pages and it asked me to register or something I assumed I opened the wrong application because it never done this before, so I closed it down and re-opened it, it asked the same thing so I hit 'Never Register' pages opens up and poof everything is gone no more .pages documents. I look all around my computer for them and none anywhere only my .docx documents are there. In the application under the tab open recent it is empty but if I go into recent items in finder I can see the document but when I double click it nothing happens. Any help would be great.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
1. Where is your backup?

2. Is it highly unlikely -- almost impossible -- that an app has code in it whose purpose is to delete files on your drive.

3. "Never Register". Pages 4.3 comes from the Mac App Store, and does not need registering. You just buy it with your Apple ID.

4. Have you checked the trash folder?

5. Page '09 (v4.3) running on 10.8 uses Autosave, so your documents would be saved every 5 minutes automatically.

6. How many files is "all" your Pages documents?

7. If you go to the Finder's Recent documents menu and hold down <Command>, that will take you to the folder in which the selected file is stored. Is it there?

8. Have you used Spotlight to search and locate your files?

yoyotammo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
1. Where is your backup?

2. Is it highly unlikely -- almost impossible -- that an app has code in it whose purpose is to delete files on your drive.

3. "Never Register". Pages 4.3 comes from the Mac App Store, and does not need registering. You just buy it with your Apple ID.

4. Have you checked the trash folder?

5. Page '09 (v4.3) running on 10.8 uses Autosave, so your documents would be saved every 5 minutes automatically.

6. How many files is "all" your Pages documents?

7. If you go to the Finder's Recent documents menu and hold down <Command>, that will take you to the folder in which the selected file is stored. Is it there?

8. Have you used Spotlight to search and locate your files?

1. I don't have a backup
2. I agree which is why I am baffled
3. My laptop is a school laptop and they re-imaged it I don't think the app came from the appstore, and I'm not sure what it asked me to do but it came up with a window and was asking for something and I defiantly hit 'never register'
4. Yes I checked the trash folder and it hasn't been emptied since I got it re-imaged
5. I know so how does it vanish
6. 2 Because ive only made 2 .pages documents since I got it re-imaged
7. I did this and when I hold down command it says show "file name.pages in finder" at which point I hold down command and click it and nothing happens.
8. Yes I tried key words in the document and everything

P.S Also I have done nothing to the computer after I closed the document other then play a single game of LoL then when I went to open pages it came up with that screen and woosh no more .pages documents on my computer.

P.P.S: I should mention that when I originally opened these .pages documents it was via a attachment links from e-mails and which point I edited them adding stuff and changing them and then saving. When I lost the .pages documents it was the first time I opened the application directly from spotlight instead of doulbe clicking the document from finder auto opening pages application.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
1. I don't have a backup

Get one.

With hard drive prices at about $50/TB, the only excuse for having no backups is if you do not care about your data.

If you were editing files that were opened via attachments, it's possible they were saved in a "temporary" location which may have been wiped when the machine rebooted.

If it is Lion or onwards there MAY be a time machine local backup, but that's about your only hope.

If as you mention the machine has been re-imaged, I'm pretty sure you're boned.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
3. My laptop is a school laptop
Then you should talk to whoever is responsible for the laptops.

There are so many variables, particularly with a school image, that without sitting in front of the computer and looking over it, we're just playing twenty questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.