Help!! Parallels 8 hangs on installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Luis2004, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

For some reason, if I install Windows 7 from my .iso in an external HD drive, it installs fine.

But if I delete the virtual machine on my external and try to install the exact same .iso to my internal SSD, it will hang on "installing windows 7". The window asking me to designate the wifi connection as public, home, etc., comes up, and I can select it, but it just continues "installing windows 7" forever.

I have timed it at 6.5 hours before I finally gave up. If I try to install it to the external, it will install in a very short period of time.

Also, when I try to install on the internal SSD, the installation window shows a gray tool bar in windows, not the transparent one that is shown in Windows 7. When I try to install it to the external HD, it shows the transparent one.

Can anyone help?!

2. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

If win 7 installs in Parallels on an external HDD then simply copy the vm to the parallels folder on your internal drive and launch from there.

On launch parallels will ask if you have moved or copied the vm. If you do not intend to use it from the external drive select moved otherwise select copied.