Help / Partition PC went wrong!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by uzapuca, Dec 22, 2008.

1. uzapuca macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I think i messed up big time. I formatted or Partitioned my external HD as MS-DOS, but to make more PC like, and that is probably the error, i put in the Option Tab set the Partition Table to MBR (Master Boot Record) for PC or Windows...

I reset my mac and PRAM (Command+Option+P) and Now I cannot see it anymore on the finder neither Disk Utility...i guess it is only for PC eyes!?

I did wrong, I know...BUT now that i reached this moment...

Is there any way, without having a PC, that i could see this HD again? I don´t maybe MacDrive soft or something else?

And if in the only case of having to formatting again by getting a PC from some friend, what format should i use for making readable by PC and Mac? The disk native format let me

Thanks for any help,
    Sebastian

2. uzapuca thread starter macrumors newbie

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well I am not going to be able offer much help it seems, as I just took a spare drive and formatted it as MS-DOS(FAT) and used an MBR partition map scheme and it mounted again right out of Disk Utility as it should, and mounts normally after the Mac is restarted as well. I can read from it and write to it with the Mac fine, and when I plugged into a PC laptop it worked normally as well.

From my experience of working with drives formatted as hybrids (Mac OSX partitions alongside FAT32 partititions, etc) as well as straight FAT32/MBR drives that just does not make any sense- particularly the part about the fact that you can't even recognize it in Disk Utility at all. :(

Is this a portable laptop drive just powered by USB or FireWire or a desktop powered drive? The reason I ask that is that it exhibiting some of the characteristics of a USB powered drive that is not getting enough juice through a single USB port to power up correctly, but that is a stretch in light of the fact that it obviously mounted in the first place so you could do your magic in Disk Utility.

Pehaps some other information (drive type, connection method, Mac type it is being used with) will trigger some more thought on the subject so you might want to post that back here first.