Help! PB 12" HD Repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshwest, Apr 23, 2008.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Hey Guy's, i think i can handle this i was just seeing if any of you have had experience doing this? there is a local repair shop in nashville that wants like 75$-100$ to swap these out but after looking at what i need to do it's pretty straight fwd i just am having thoughts on removing the cables from the mother board.. if any could PM me and help me out a little id appreciate it.

2. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I changed the HD on my PowerBook 12" a couple of years ago to install a larger HD. I took my time and followed the instructions here: Installing PowerBook Hard Drive Replacement

You will need the following two tools:

1. #00 Phillips Screwdriver
    2. T6 Torx Screwdriver

Don't even attempt it without these tools... You'll just mangle the dozens of small screws on your PowerBook 12". If you don't have these tools you can find them at Sears or purchase them from the ifixit site I linked to above.

You'll also need some little containers to hold all the little screws and parts you are going to remove. Just make sure you remember where each screw came from. There are a lot of small screws and many of them are different sizes.

Take your time, following the step by step instructions on the ifixit site I linked to above and you should be fine. :)

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Its very easy to replace the hd, I've done it probably a few times on the 12" powerbook that I had a couple years ago(not because they broke down because of upgrading a few times). Yes use that link from ifixit that the previous poster gave you, thats what I did and was very easy. I even changed out a fan using their guide as well.