Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.Davidson78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
I am a relatively new Mac user. I have been emailed a PDF attachment and when i try to use preview to open it, I get the message "cannot open file. The file may be damaged or use a file that preview can recognise" I installed adobe reader and viewer and I get similar messages. I know the file is not corrupt or damaged as I can open it on my vista laptop. please help. Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have you compared their file sizes via Finder and Windows Explorer?

In Finder select the .pdf file and press CMD+I and look under size and compare that number to the one you get in Windows. Bytes would be preferable, as Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) reports file sizes differently than Windows does.

If the .pdf file is not private or something, you can attach it to this thread and we can take a look at it if you want. The .pdf shan't be bigger than 250KB though, or you use some other file hosting service.

I have attached an example of a .pdf file, maybe you can try to open that.

Have you also tried Quick Look, meaning selecting the file and hitting the SPACEBAR?

Attachments

• Mac Forums - Reply to Topic.pdf
    150.2 KB · Views: 148

G.Davidson78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
HELP PDF viewing problems

Thanks for your reply.

I compared the file sizes. THe mac file size is 70,108 bytes and the the download on my vista laptop is 2,954,143 bytes. A huge difference. Does this mean the file hasn't downloaded through entourage properly??

I also tried to open the file on your post and that worked

How do I attache the file??

I tried the other couple of things you suggested but it still doesn't work.

PLease help!!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks for your reply.

I compared the file sizes. THe mac file size is 70,108 bytes and the the download on my vista laptop is 2,954,143 bytes. A huge difference. Does this mean the file hasn't downloaded through entourage properly??

I don't know, but something is not working correctly. Have you looked through Entourage's preferences and seen if something like "don't download files larger than ..." is checked?

How do I attache the file??

4583890460_fab5b2f588_o.png

4583890462_4cb1eaca6a_o.png

I tried the other couple of things you suggested but it still doesn't work.

PLease help!!

You mean QuickLook? If so, then that is expected with a corrupt file.

G.Davidson78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Help!! Pdf Viewing Problem

I have done a bit of looking around and I only just noticed that there was a tiny line at the top of the email that said"email partially downloaded. Click to download full message"

How much of an idiot do you think I feel.

Thanks for your help and time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.