Help: Phone wet

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tigerfan55, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Tigerfan55 macrumors newbie

We went to a football games yesterday and I have my phone in my pocket, it proceeded to come a torrential downpour for about an hour. After it was in my pocket for about 10 minutes I placed it inside a poncho bag but to late.

I pulled it out at the half and tried to cut it on with no luck so I just put it in a dry place and let it go until the game was over. When we got back to the apartment I tried to cut it on and it would just flicker a few times. So I decided to plug it in because I did see once that it said 20% battery remaining. After it was plugged in I tried to cut it on and it just goes to a white screen and I can kind of see the top bar but nothing else. When I click on the phone or other apps I can tell something happens but can't see them.

It will still receive calls I just can't obviously see anything on the screen, someone please help me out I just got this 4 weeks ago. Is it the backlight/display and I can somehow replace that and it work?

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well you didn't the opposite you should have. Once it doesn't turn on the first time and you know it was wet. Never try charging it or turning it on. Put it in a sealed container with dry rice ASAP. Don't try turning it on for awhile. Chances are good the damage is done by trying to turn it on and trying to charge it but its worth a shot. Leave it for a couple days. Now if that doesn't work you can use the Out Of warranty replacement for $199 or something like that.

3. Tigerfan55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I placed in in a zip lock bag of dry white rice Sunday night . I checked it again last night and while the phone works or at least seems to work it will receive a call, I still can't see anything on the screen, it is white. Well I shouldn't say I can't see anything I can see the screen flicker and move when I unlock the phone and I can kind of see the very top line of the phone even though it is still very white. Does it still have water in it or is the screen effed up and I will probably need to replace the screen now? Again any help is appreciated.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its probably fried then. The trick is to not try turning it on until after its dried out. You could try leave it for a day more, but its not looking good. Apple does offer out of warranty replacement at a decent price.