Help picking out a new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddybacon, Nov 30, 2012.

1. eddybacon macrumors newbie

Hello all. My fiance is going to be buying a MBP for school use, and I would like some help from the Mac community in picking out the right one. She will be using it for Photoshop, editing graphics, and various other art related tasks. I'm very tech savvy, but neither she nor I have ever owned/used a Mac of any kind, and I am unsure if I am giving her the right advice. I suggested the 15" rMBP with 2.6, 8gb RAM and 256gb SSD. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If spending 2k is not financially taxing then go for it. If it is I recommend a 13 cMBP.

3. velleity macrumors member

The 15 inch rMBP is a fantastic machine. But for her needs, I'd suggest taking a look at the 2012 Macbook Air.

The integrated graphics are really not that bad. I work in web design, and am stuck editing a fair number of graphics and some video. If I'm being honest, the 2012 Air would have been enough for me - I went for the rMBP because of my extracurricular gaming (I wanted the integrated graphics, and I wanted to see my games all retina-ized). I had an Air in college, though, and loved the portability it gave me.