Help picking out the right HDTV for gaming

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamesi, Nov 6, 2007.

1. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

I wanted to buy a decent HDTV for gaming (to be used primarily with my pc but i want my pb to get some use with it too), but im not sure which resolution is ideal. right now i have an older 480p tv connected to my pc and it is killing my eyes.

originally i wanted to go HD all the way with 1920x1080, but 1080p screens are just a lil too much money for my taste. would 720p be good enough quality to allow me to use the computer for tasks apart from gaming (ie reading text, web browsing etc) comfortably?

thanks

2. Fimo macrumors newbie

Fimo

I've got a 26" Dell thats 720p which I use with my 360 as well as Windows Media Centre. I've also connected my PB to it. I find it good enough for everything from gaming to reading text.

I think the major thing to consider is how far away from the screen you will be, but as far as 720p its good enough for what you need it for, IMHO.

3. admiraldennis macrumors regular

720p is 1280x720 which should be fine for desktop use.

The real issue is how big it will be / how far away you will be. At the same size/distance, 1080p could prove more difficult to read, as it things will appear that much smaller.

4. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi