Help picking the right case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by podsorcerer09, Jul 12, 2011.

1. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Hi, I will be buying a new Macbook Pro after much deliberation sometime in the very near future. I was going back and forth on the Air but that's not the topic of this thread. My current computer, one of the black polycarbonate MacBooks has seen it's fair share of bumps being in my backpack at university. At some point last year the screen was damaged and had to be replaced. Although the new Pro is made of a much sturdier aluminum, I'm still interested in buying something to put over it when it goes in my backpack. I've ruled out the plastic shell cases because I don't know how much protection they add. I would also like to avoid the basic neoprene sleeve because all it adds is a little cushion but no real protection. In terms of the harder sleeve type cases, most of them are made out of nylon with foam interiors. I'm torn between the Thule sleeve, Booq Vyper, and a Brenthaven sleeve. Which do you prefer?

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

no sleeve will 100% protect ur macbook pro.

the easiest and worth while thing to get IS a neoprene sleeve.

i highly recoemdnt he INCASE NEOPRENE SLEEVE PLUS for your macbook. it has an awesome faux fur lined interior to protect ur computer and its not huge so it will fit easily into your backpack. u dont need something builky or eles that will just add more hassle to carrying ur compputer around.

made a vid on it too if u like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YupQI-jhjQ

subscribe if you like :)

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

+1

I use the same case and love it.

4. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

Well before you rule out the hard cases
    I have a speck hard case on my Mac. A few days ago my psycho cat jumped on me and knocked my macbookpro to the ground, with high velocity, on to it's cd drive side onto the hard wood floors from about 2 feet up.
    No dents, scratches or any damage to the exterior. With out it, I'm sure there would have been a huge dent.

However the booq viper is very nice I like it alot

5. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I personally don't care for neoprene sleeves. Had one on my laptop and it didn't protect it much at all. I got the Incase Protective Sleeve Deluxe from the Apple Store and I love it! It has a faux leather feel and a fur lining and is MUCH more padded than the neoprene cases. I carry this case around by itself when I just need the computer or throw it in another bag when I need to have books, etc. There is even a pocket on the outside of the sleeve that will hold the power cord. It is a very versatile sleeve for how minimalistic it is.

6. blackbinary macrumors member

Some kind of case is definitely the best protection when on the go, protecting from scratches and bumps.

I'm not a fan of the neoprene either, mainly because everyone seems to have that kind and it doesn't seem to have great corner protection or durability.

I've ordered a sleeve from Colcasac, and they seem like they will be better.

7. podsorcerer09 thread starter macrumors regular

I've looked at the Incase Plus sleeve and I'm not a fan of it. While it is more padded I still don't get the protection that I want. As for the hardcase, I like them, I had the Incase one on my macbook for a long time, but it seems that with aluminum, the only real benefit is scratch protection as the metal is almost certainly stronger than the plastic case no? Anyone ever use any of the three sleeves I originally posted. I'm curious to know how people liked them.

8. podsorcerer09 thread starter macrumors regular

To bump this thread, I just got my new pro and now I'm looking at getting the sleeve. I love the booq but I just found a gift card to the apple store (not itunes) that I can use for it. It looks like the Brenthaven ProStyle has gotten rave reviews and looks like it's made out of the same stuff as the booq. Any thoughts?

9. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I have to agree. Neoprene sleeves are nice but one thing I think people overlook is it only protects your laptop when your not using it. It only shields bumps while closed and in a backpack, but I think the majority of user damage comes from use. There will be times when you might bump your MBP off a desk of accidentally set it down on an uneven or slippery surface that might cause it to fall. I'd get a hard case for sure and maybe a soft sleeve if you think you need it

10. negativzero macrumors 6502

I'm not a fan of cases and I would advise anyone from getting one too. The aluminum MacBooks cooled by not only the fans but by the aluminum base transferring heat to the surface your MBP is placed on. Cover your MBP with a case and you effectively store the heat in your MBP.

I would however advise you to get a good sleeve or laptop bag to transport your MBP around. Generally, the MBPs are sturdy enough you do not need to protect them from falling off your table so getting a case for that purpose would be useless too. Besides, most cases are made of thin polycarbonate which would hardly protect your MBP should it fall unfortunately.

11. podsorcerer09 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the title is misleading now that I look at it. I've never thought about getting an actual case for this new macbook, just a sleeve for my backpack. Any recommendations? Booq brenthaven etc

12. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Just purchased a great new case for the 13" MacBook Pro and an iPad from the Apple Store. The bag is made by Thule of Sweden and like their other products it is well designed and durable. The bag is sized perfectly for the 13" macBook and there is a specially lined pocket to fit an iPad. Another compartment will hold accessories like an iPhone, Apple Mouse, or even a charger. The case is attaché styled with handles and also has a shoulder strap. The attaché also has a clamshell design and you can use the Macbook whit the case open, which is great fro using on the tray in an airplane.

At $80 the bag was a little pricey in my opinion, but then again most things made by Thule are and they are worth their price. I have never seen this bag before and was told that they were just released, even the product description tag on the bag says 2011. I tried checking for reviews online, and only a few stores are showing it and they didn't have any reviews posted yet, so it must be pretty new. The Apple Store that I bought it from said they've only had them a week or two. When I first saw it in the store I didn't get it right away. I walked around the mall a few hours and came back to get it. When I got back the two for the 13" MacBook that were on the shelf were sold and the store went through the shipment in the back to see if any more came in, Luckily one did and I bought it. So at least 3 were sold that day in that one store which at $80 is pretty good. The store had also sold 1 of the 15" models as well.

Check it out on Apple's site or at the Apple Store, it's the Thule MacBook and iPad Attaché TMPA113. There is also a version for a 15" Macbook and that ons is TMPA115.