Help 'Pimp' my new MBPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AMSMac01, Mar 14, 2011.

1. AMSMac01 macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from a 3 year old 15" MBP to one of the new 15" Unibody MBPro's. So excited, especially considering with the combination of RAM, SSD, and new Processors this thing boots in about 20 seconds.

Need some help from those who have used the unibody style MBPro's and/or just bought the new release. Here are my questions:

1) Case - On my old MBP I have a Speck Hardshell case that I love. Looking at something similar, either hard plastic or the rubberized plastic feel. I hear Speck and InCase as two contenders. What are your experiences? Have either released a case for the new Unibody Config?

2) Screen Protector - I should have gone with my gut and spent the extra on the Anti-Glare display. Now I have this hi-glosss that I know will annoy me long term. Any experience with third-party Anti-Glare screen protectors? I see one from Green Onions that has positive feedback.

3) Keyboard silicon - Anyone done a keyboard protector? I've never done one before and am more concerned about how it will feel to type with such a thing? Any feedback appreciated.

Any other recommendations for nice add-ons?

Cheers and thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd just stick with a Speck case. That's what I use on my unibody Aluminum Macbook, and it works just fine for me. They also make a case for the new models.

I have heard a number of bad things about the AG screen protectors. Personally, I like the glossy, so I haven't tried any of those, and I haven't tried a keyboard protector either.

3. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure that if you are still within the return window that you can return yours and upgrade to the AG display and pay the difference. Don't quote me though, I could be wrong.

4. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Since when there is a Return window for upgrades ?

Do tell!

5. anon.ymous macrumors member

Well, you have 14 days to return for any reason. From apple online or retail, anyway.

As for screen shields, no recommendation as I haven't used one. As for cases, the Speck cases are fantastic. As for keyboard protectors/skins, ick. I absolutely hate typing on them.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would say no to the screen protector ... I like the Speck cases and keyboard covers are Ok if you eat near your MBP.

cheers on the new Mac

7. Jaimi macrumors regular

1. I recommend the speck. I have the black satin one, works great and looks great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ODSX1I

2. I have the glossy also, but I like it.

3. I also purchased a keyboard protector (black). For 2.89, how can you go wrong? It feels a little different to type on it, but you get used to it. Worse thing is that it hides the backlight. Maybe a clear one would be better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TPL260

To finish it off, I bought the twelve-south leather surface pad:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032Z8IJA

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

another vote for the black satin speck case. LOVE mine!

9. Jmouse macrumors 6502

is that the same as INCASE satin black?

10. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

I love the Speck Case best money i have spent.

11. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

yes n00b

12. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

Same But i do want to try out the Matte screen protectors.

13. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I like the idea of a sleeve so I can just throw it in my messenger bag, etc... but then take it out and enjoy it without a case. Does it need to be protected while you're using it at a desk or in your lap?

14. kato10 macrumors newbie

I bought the clear Speck hardcase and I love it. I used to have a antiglare screen but I went with the glossy this time. I kinda like it better. I passed on the keyboard cover because I thought it might have been a little too excessive. But the best thing I bought was this Hurley backpack I got from the Apple Store. Best bag I've ever bought.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTk5MTY2ODM&s=topSellers

15. slicktor macrumors member

slicktor

I just use a sleeve and then toss it into my back pack. I don't like to compromise the look of the machine when i am using it :p haha

The anti-glare screen shield i think is a bad idea. It looks grainy and it isnt the same as if you were to get the actual AG screen.

No, keyboard cover for me either. Just be careful when you are eating around your machine haha BUT if you worry about oily/shiny keys... the cover aint a bad idea.