Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
I have three files in the trash and cannot empty the trash of them because "they are in use".

I have no programmes running ; restart does not help; replace is not available and I do not remember where they came from (exactly). They are dated files with empty image files in them.

I am quite happy to risk empty files so how do I get rid of them?

Regards

Sharkey

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have three files in the trash and cannot empty the trash of them because "they are in use".

I have no programmes running ; restart does not help; replace is not available and I do not remember where they came from (exactly). They are dated files with empty image files in them.

I am quite happy to risk empty files so how do I get rid of them?

Regards

Sharkey

Try logging out and logging back in and then try to empty the trash again. If that does not work, click on "Finder" on the menubar and select "Secure Empty Trash...".

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Try logging out and logging back in and then try to empty the trash again. If that does not work, click on "Finder" on the menubar and select "Secure Empty Trash...".

Thank both of you.

The secure Trash fixed it. Such a long time since last I needed it; slipped my mind altogether DUH!!

Regards

Sharkey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.