Help, please. (15" iBook, 12" PowerBook, or wait)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by melodyj03, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. melodyj03 macrumors newbie

    Dec 27, 2005
    For Christmas my parents agreed to pay for any laptop I chose under $2000 and I want to get a mac. I have been a pc user for years, but my friends shiny power book and my ipod have finally made me ready for the switch. But now everyone is telling me I should wait since they are switching to Intel sometime soon. I still have an excruciatingly slow, but operational pc, so I could conceivably wait if there is about to be a major change. I'm also stuck between the 15' iBook and the 12" Power Book. I use my comp. for word processing at school, internet surfing, music, and the occasional game of solitaire. Any help would be great.:)
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Wait until mid-January. Big things are afoot for the 10th so if you can hold off for a little while, you may benefit. Oh, and by the way, I think you mean a 15 inch PowerBook, not 15 foot iBook. :)
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus


    Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Sit tight until Jan 10th. Then make you decision.

    Chances are something will be introduced, and if not prices might drop on the current models. Either way you win! :)

    And welcome to the forums. Browse around a bit and you'll find you're not the only one in your situation... ;)

    Edit: Beaten by the mad man, again... :mad: :p
  4. rdowns macrumors Penryn


    Jul 11, 2003
    Wait, new laptops may be announced in 13 short days.
  5. melodyj03 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 27, 2005

    yeah, 15 feet would not be good for hauling to class.
  6. mdavey macrumors 6502a


    Nov 1, 2005
    Apple announced their transition plans in the Summer of 2005 and at the time said that the first Apple Intel-based computers would ship by Summer 2006 with the entire product line on Intel by the end of 2007.

    If you want to buy brand-new, I'd suggest waiting until at least 14th January (2006). Mac World San Fransisco runs from 9th to 13th Janurary and Apple is widely rumored to be announcing at least one Intel computer during that conference.

    Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, will be speaking at that conference on 10th January, so that is when the major announcements are most likely to be made.

    If you want to buy second-hand, it is a gamble whether any particular computer will be cheaper just before or just after the MWSF conference (it all depends on what is announced - could just be a new Mac mini or it could be that all the desktop and laptop product lines are replaced [but most likely to be something in-between these two extremes]).
  7. iSaint macrumors 603


    May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    For what you want to do, the 14" iBook is great! I've wanted a PowerBook, but I can't justify the extra cost (although it does have higher resolution than the iBooks). If your parents will still go with the $2,000, you can pick up some great accessories in addition to your iBook.

    I would wait the two weeks to see what's annnounced, too.

Share This Page