Help please: Apple mail not coming to my name

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidinva, Jan 23, 2014.

1. davidinva macrumors 6502a

This may be a question of setting up mail wrong, but here is what's happening. My wife and I share an Apple mail address, the only difference being mine is MyName@emailcom and her's is HerName@emailcom. All incoming email comes to HerName. (Even when I send a test message to MyName.) We have separate address in Contacts. The email setup uses only my name. I have looked at the settings and the only place her email address appears in in Contacts. Is the way I set this up not allowed? I am assuming user error here. Thanks.

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

So do you have separate email accounts with separate passwords to access each of the accounts?

It sounds like you don't have separate accounts, and that one of the email addresses is an alias for the other. Especially as you only have one account in the settings.

For this to work you both need separate email accounts. Then you either:-
    a) Each need a login account for the computer, and setup your individual email account. This has the benefit that everything is kept separate.
    b) Share a login account for the computer, and setup both email accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.