help please...blue screen...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Opieday, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Opieday macrumors newbie

ok here it is...i have had my macbook for about a year. i have had no probles out of it. this is my first mac. i love it. but a couple of days ago i tried to open safari...and it would come up like it is loading...and just shut back down. fire fox sitll worked...then yesterday when i turn it on...i get a blue screen....and i HAVE NOT tried to load leppard. i have not loaded anything new that i know of. i called my brother...who talked me into gettinga mac... and he told me to try the holdding down shift when i start it. the safe boot or something. well i do that and it works. but i get the stupid little raibow circle thing. it let my system prefferences come up and then my accounts. he told me to do something with login items......but i get the rainbow, and then it shuts down the system preff. i don't know what else to do. i have tons of pictures on it. and i don't want to loose them. please help!!!!
    .........................................................................................................................................now i can not even get it to safe boot! i need help. there is no mac dealer around here. if you have any suggestions that would be great! thanks!

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Go to:

Applications>Utilities Folder>Disk Utility>run both Repair Permissions, and Verify Disk.

Once its done, with both restart your computer. Let us know if its working correctly of not still. Another thing, when you say Blue Screen, do you mean the Kernal Panic Screen? It looks like the second picture in this link:

Kernal Panic Screen

3. Opieday thread starter macrumors newbie

DO I NEED TO DO IT WITH THE DISK THAT CAME WITH MY COMPUTER? THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET ANYTHING TO COME UP! I CAN'T EVEN GET THE SAFE BOOT TO BRING IT UP NOW. AND IS THERE A WAY TO RESTART MY COMPUTER WITH OUT JUST SHUTTING IT OFF? OH AND...I AM SEEING BOTH SCREENS. SOMETIMES IT IS JUST PLAIN BLUE WITH A CUSSOR...AND SOME TIMES IT IS THE BLACK SCREEN WITH THE WHITE LETTERS......OK IT TOLD ME NO REPAIRS WERE NEEDED.

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Sounds to me like you might have some bad RAM, this usually causes Kernal Panics. If you have the original discs, you might want to try and run the Hardware Diagnostic Disc. It will test you hardware in your system.

If all else fails, i would call Applecare, or maybe take it to a local Apple Store, if you have one close.

The only other thing i could tell you to do, is maybe do a Clean Re-install of OS X.

5. alicaca macrumors newbie

I got the same one. Yesterday I install the office 2008 and update the apple softwares as usual. But then, when I restart as it is required, my Macbook appear with my background desktop pictures. Then for waiting for so long, I opened then battery then put it on again then restart Macbook. All I get the logo of apple and nothing else, I have no idea how to fix this. Please help me!

6. Opieday thread starter macrumors newbie

IF IDO A REINSTALL I WILL LOOSE ALL MY PICTURES WON'T I? WE DON'T HAVE AN APPLE STORE HERE...WOULD I BE BETTER OFF DOING THE RE INSTALL OR...THERE IS A GUY IN TOWN THAT SAYS HE CAN WORK ON MAC'S.

7. Opieday thread starter macrumors newbie

THIS I MIGHT CAN HELP YOU WITH. I TRIED THIS FIRST WITH MINE. WHEN YOU BOOT YOUR COMPUTER AFTER YOU HEAR THE START UP TONE...HOLD DOWN SHIFT UNTILL YOU SEE THE GRAY APPLE IN PROGRESS (THE SPINNY THING)...AFTER IT COMES UP...GO TO THE APPLE MENU AT THE BOTTOM...GO TO SYSTEM PREFFERENCES...GO TO ACCOUNTS...THEN LOGIN ITEMS...WRITE DOWN ALL THE ITEMS (YOU WILL NEED TO PUT THEM BACK IN LATER) SELECT ALL...THEN REMOVE... RESTART YOUR COMPUTER...AND I THINK GO BACK AND PUT THE ITEMS BACK IN...IF ANYBODY SEES THAT I HAVE THIS WRONG PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SPEAK UP! I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!

8. Quint macrumors member

Try this first

I am assuming that you don't have an external drive with boot system on it. If the power is on on the macbook, try inserting disk 1 from the install disk set. If the power is off, insert the disk in the slot until you feel resistance. Turn on the MacBook, if the disk is in, hold down the 'C' key on the keyboard. Otherwise hold down the 'Option' key. The disc should be pulled into the Macbook during the startup process. If you used the 'C' key, you should soon see a screen asking you to select a language. If you used the 'Option' key, you will soon see a screen with an icon for your hard drive, and an icon for Mac Install Disk 1. After the system finishes searching for boot volumes, click on the icon for the Install Disk. If you don't see the Install Disk pictured, make sure the disk is inside the drive and click the refresh button or restart the computer, once again holding down the 'Option" key.
    When you get to the screen asking you to select a language, you are now booted from the DVD and are completely bypassing your Hard Drive. Click continue, and the installer will launch. DO NOT CONTINUE WITH THE INSTALLATION. At this point, you will see that a menu bar has appeared at the top of the screen. Select Utilities -> Disk Utility. This will launch a somewhat shrunken version of the same utility found in the OS. Click on the Repair Tab and select the internal Hard drive from the list on the left. Click on the repair disk button. This will run the disk check utility and will find and repair any errors in the boot volume. You may see items in red appear on the running status report. The utility will continue until all repairs are completed or it is determined that errors are too serious for this utility to fix. When it has completed, close disk utility and use Command-Q to quit the installer. Let the computer restart normally and hopefully you problems will be gone. This method poses no risk to any data on the hard drive.

9. Opieday thread starter macrumors newbie

I DID THAT AND IT TOLD ME NO REPAIRS WERE NEEDED. THANK YOU!...i am going to suck it up and try to do the re install..........loose all my pictures...i know i should have backed them up. lesson learned. i jsut hope this works. thank you to everybody for all your help!