Help Please? Buy Macbook pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by foreversmurf98, Apr 7, 2012.

1. foreversmurf98 macrumors newbie

I have been dying to buy the 13in Macbook Pro for a while now. So I was wondering if I DO WANT the bulkier style w/ the ODD. Should I just buy now?:apple:
    Advise me my friends.

2. simsaladimbamba

According to a dozens of already present threads and all those rumours, a new 15" MBP will appear in April, the 13" will appear in May / June.

If you need now and find the current ones bulky, you can replace the ODD with an SSD or HDD and have at least a reason for the bulkiness except the bigger CPU and HDD and battery and ports.

3. rovitotv macrumors member

I am in the same position

I have been getting by with my Mac Mini 2009 which is getting a little slow. My theory is that when the new MBP come out I can grab a 2011 MBP 13" for cheap on the refurb store. Hopefully the price will be $1000 or less.

4. foreversmurf98 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Clearly don't need, just want. So wait or else you're going to be annoyed by buying a laptop that becomes 'dated' in just a month or three.

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If you need now then you buy now. If you can wait then generally you wait. However a few things to consider are that the MBP will likely move more toward an air design and you may loose the optical drive. If an on board optical drive is important to you than you maybe better buying now. The current machine are very capable and will serve you just as well as the next gen machine.

7. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

If it was me I'd wait..My current MBP 17" is to be phased out if rumours are correct, so when I do upgrade I will be looking at a 15" with a large SSD. I may hang on to the 17" if Apple do stop making them though. It's bulky and heavy to carry around but the screen is superb.

8. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

No.

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you need now, buy now.

If you don't NEED now, wait until the new model and decide then, either buying new, or a refurb (at reduced cost).

11. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

A very helpful post.

Well done.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

As are yours, regularly. :rolleyes:

13. righteye, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

righteye macrumors 6502

Remember also that with the new design its unlikely that there will be space to put in another HD/SSD which is a very useful facility,1 drive for OSX and another for data or Raid.
    If going for 13" i would have thought weight was an issue and in that case wait might be the best option as Air design should be lighter.
    If ODD is important then as Medic278 says buy now for new or wait for refurb.

14. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

YOu also noted that you do want the optical drive. That being the case I would recommend def buying now, rumor is that the optical is going to be phased out and that rumor has been pretty consistent. Again if your buying NEW buy now, if you plan on buying refurb then you really have nothing to lose by waiting and seeing what actually happens with the update.