Help Please? Buy Macbook pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by foreversmurf98, Apr 7, 2012.

  1. foreversmurf98 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2012
    #1
    I have been dying to buy the 13in Macbook Pro for a while now. So I was wondering if I DO WANT the bulkier style w/ the ODD. Should I just buy now?:apple:
    Advise me my friends.
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    According to a dozens of already present threads and all those rumours, a new 15" MBP will appear in April, the 13" will appear in May / June.

    If you need now and find the current ones bulky, you can replace the ODD with an SSD or HDD and have at least a reason for the bulkiness except the bigger CPU and HDD and battery and ports.
     
  3. rovitotv macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #3
    I am in the same position

    I have been getting by with my Mac Mini 2009 which is getting a little slow. My theory is that when the new MBP come out I can grab a 2011 MBP 13" for cheap on the refurb store. Hopefully the price will be $1000 or less.
     
  4. foreversmurf98 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2012
  5. malman89 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #5
    Clearly don't need, just want. So wait or else you're going to be annoyed by buying a laptop that becomes 'dated' in just a month or three.
     
  6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    If you need now then you buy now. If you can wait then generally you wait. However a few things to consider are that the MBP will likely move more toward an air design and you may loose the optical drive. If an on board optical drive is important to you than you maybe better buying now. The current machine are very capable and will serve you just as well as the next gen machine.
     
  7. Macman45 macrumors G5

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #8
    If it was me I'd wait..My current MBP 17" is to be phased out if rumours are correct, so when I do upgrade I will be looking at a 15" with a large SSD. I may hang on to the 17" if Apple do stop making them though. It's bulky and heavy to carry around but the screen is superb.
     
  8. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
  9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #10
    No.
     
  10. throAU macrumors 601

    throAU

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #11
    If you need now, buy now.

    If you don't NEED now, wait until the new model and decide then, either buying new, or a refurb (at reduced cost).
     
  11. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    #12
    A very helpful post.

    Well done.
     
  12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #13
    As are yours, regularly. :rolleyes:
     
  13. righteye, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

    righteye macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2011
    Location:
    London
    #14
    Remember also that with the new design its unlikely that there will be space to put in another HD/SSD which is a very useful facility,1 drive for OSX and another for data or Raid.
    If going for 13" i would have thought weight was an issue and in that case wait might be the best option as Air design should be lighter.
    If ODD is important then as Medic278 says buy now for new or wait for refurb.
     
  14. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #15
    YOu also noted that you do want the optical drive. That being the case I would recommend def buying now, rumor is that the optical is going to be phased out and that rumor has been pretty consistent. Again if your buying NEW buy now, if you plan on buying refurb then you really have nothing to lose by waiting and seeing what actually happens with the update.
     

Share This Page