Help Please. Can't Boot iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alanreinke, Mar 31, 2008.

1. alanreinke macrumors newbie

My wife has an iMac G5 (I have an Intel iMac) that suddenly will not boot up. I inserted the OS 10.4 install disk and held down the C key. No luck. Goes to the grey screen with the Apple and the slowly revolving pinwheel (not the color one). After a few minutes all the cooling fans come on at high speed. Nothing further happens.

Now I can't get the DVD out either. How do I do that?

2. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

k so hopefully there the power pc dvds and to get the dvd out theres a llittle botton on the top or bottom and i usually stick a paper clip and push the botton but i do not know why it does that so i cant help u therre try hitting the option key wen booting up

3. alanreinke thread starter macrumors newbie

Got CD out. No change in iMac

I was able to eject the CD using the mouse button on restart. However, nothing gets me beyond the grey screen with the fans blowing on high.

4. tobybirch007 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem months ago. I tried for a few days to fix it and didn't get anywhere. I didn't have anything better to do, so I started trying to get my imac up and running again. I'm going through a hardware test right now to check my problem. I got there by inserting the OSX disc 1 and holding down the option key until a screen with a circled-arrow and a straight arrow button showed up. I waited a few more minutes and a screen popped up that gave me the option to install osx or do a system check. I chose the latter, and now i'm setting through the check. This may or may not help, but it's something better than nothing.

5. alanreinke thread starter macrumors newbie

Help needed

Thanks. I tried that. It showed the installation CD or DVD, but would not startup from it. I got a very strange overlay in grey with what appeared to be DOS (I know it isn't but courier font scares me) and said something about panic and that I should restart the computer.

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

tell it to boot from lik dvd if it comes up and says not to restart