HELP PLEASE !!! Can't get Linksys router to work.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fonz500, Oct 31, 2007.

1. fonz500 macrumors member

Okay, I am a new owner of an Alu-imac 2.4 ghz !!!!!!

Installed Leopard last night and wanted to get my internet set up and ……. IT DIDN'T WORK !!!!!!!!

The Diagnostic thing wouldn't recognize my internet.

(Info for you):

1) I have an Linksys wireless router that is right behind the computer. I have to have a router for my 360 and my PS3 across the room. So I had the cable internet modem hooked to the wireless router and then to the computer. (just like it was hooked up to my PC)

2) I tried everything I could think of to get it to work. The diagnostic show that the Ethernet had a green light, but it would not let me online at all.

3) So then I tried unplugging the modem and the router and still nothing. (It gets stuck on the page where it asks "do you use a cable modem, if so please restart it and then hit continue") And still nothing.

4) So then I tried to just run the internet straight from the cable modem to the imac, and this didn't work either….. Then for some reason like a 1/2 later the network settings brought up the IP and everything and I had internet.

5) But I need my Linksys router to be used !!!! Is there any advice any of you can give me !!! I can call Linksys if I need to when I get off work, but I thought maybe some of you could help me first. I did have to call Linksys before I could get the router to work on my old PC as well, so maybe it's something with them ????

HELP PLEASE !!!! I want to love my Imac so much.

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Your Mac shouldn't need any special configuration. Just set its ethernet interface to use DHCP and that's it. If your Mac's IP starts with 169 then you have a problem which is most likely the fault of the router.

You do know about your router's web-based admin interface? If not, try going to 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.2.1 in a web browser (hopefully it's one of those). Make sure your Mac's hardware address (MAC address) is in the allowed list and make sure your router is giving it an address via DHCP.

3. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

Can I go to the IP address when my Imac is just connected to the modem???? I tried last night to put the 192.168.etc in the address bar while the modem was routed to the router and it didn't work.

So will I be able to change my routers settings if it's not hooked up at the time ????

Is this even making any sense??

4. Wheeze macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem when i bought a new 24 iMac and had a Linksys router, i looked at various topics on the internet about this, some suggested an older firmware (ie downgrade) others an upgrade, tried these to no use, finally i bought an apple airport, plugged it in and it worked wonders. There is something about the linksys product that does play well in the apple sandbox, save yourself time and aggravation and dump it

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I used to have a Linksys router and I never could get it to work right. When it would work I had to restart it like five times a day because it would just stop working for no reason. I finally sold it on eBay at a loss before I turned it into confetti.

6. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

It always worked fine for all my stuff. It has to be something in the settings.

Anybody else have any ideas...

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried to set up the wireless side yet?

8. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

The wireless is what I am having problems with. My internet works absolutely perfect when I hook my Mac straight to the modem.

9. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

had a similar situation when i first got my MBP.... if you havent tried yet... upgrade the firmware in your router...

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How "right behind the computer" are we talking about? I had a wireless router directly behind my computer once, and my computer wouldn't pick up the signal. Sounds crazy at first, but you may not be giving the signal enough room to propagate and hit your iMac's antenna. I suggest moving the wireless router away by a couple feet, or if you're that close, just use an ethernet cable and plug it into one of the switched ports on the back of the router.

BTW, 99.9% of the time, cable modems will also need to be rebooted after you change the device they're plugged in to. If you switch it from being connected to your router to your computer, unplug the modem's power and plug it back in. Either the modem or ISP gets confused when it sees a different MAC address connected to it.

100% not true. Linksys products work JUST FINE with Macs, PCs, Linux boxes, ANYTHING that uses the Ethernet standard (IEEE 802.3 for wired and 802.11 for wireless). That's the beauty of standards. No offense, but it's the user that doesn't play well in the Linksys sandbox. When properly configured, a Linksys router will work just as well with a Mac as an Apple router, as a Netgear router, Cisco router, D-Link router, whatever. If you don't have the technical knowledge to configure a Linksys router, that's fine, the Airport is a hell of a lot easier to setup. But please don't spread false information, because for someone who's able to get a Linksys (or some other budget home router) working, it's a much cheaper alternative to an Airport and will work just as well.

Hardware bugs and build quality are another story, and you get what you pay for (which is why I have a Cisco wireless router), but if the hardware is in working order, and set up the right way, they all work the same.

11. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

What security are you trying to use. WEP, WPA, TKIP or open access.