HELP PLEASE cant open attachments or download for work!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cricket96, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Cricket96 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

when I try to open attachments on my mac at home or try to download I get this weird message I work on a pc at work but bought a mac from my company to further my sales and broaden my education at home now I am stuck trying to remote to my pc desk top but worse I cant download that or open any attahments on my mac at home - ugghgh!!! I would be so grateful if someone knew why - this is the message I get below when I try to open an attachment or download jsut started happening - I have a four year old some who play nick jr. games and dont know if he may have done something or maybe I did ???

this is the message:

Downloading /Users/kristiadams/Desktop/5PEj3n9e.exe.part/Users/kristiadams/Desktop/5PEj3n9e.exe.part could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder. Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

First, what Mac and Os are you using? What application are you using to download with? It is none of my business, but I can't help wondering why you want to download an "exe" file, as those are programs on the Windows platform, and of course they will not run on the Mac OS. From your post, I assume the computer/download application has the desktop set as the default for the download location (a browser or other application setting). The "Desktop" on a Mac is a special folder located in /Users/yourusername/.
    Obviously there is something wrong with the permissions on that folder or with the application you are using to download with. Try opening Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, then select the HD on the left and click the Repair Permissions button. This can take a long time depending on the OS version, Leopard especially takes forever, but let it run until it is finished. Then try the download again. You can also change the permissions of that folder manually, but I would not suggest it unless you know what you are doing.

3. Arrandale macrumors regular

yeah, once you have the exe files you won't be able to do much with them anyway

you ought to use mail/entourage/thunderbird as your primary email clients... they work seamlessly with os x