Help Please, Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jshelton, Nov 16, 2008.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Hey everybody. I have an Early 08 Macbook with a few problems. I made an appointment with a Genius today and he took a look at it with no avail. Here is one of the problems:

I cannot connect to Google or Yahoo. I get an error message that tells me it cannot find the server. All other websites connect fine. I have Windows on Bootcamp also. They connect fine on Windows and the other PC on our network connects fine as well. Just not on OS X...
    What is the problem? Have I changed some settings without realizing it? The Genius suggested IceClean to fix this. Any suggestions or thoughts.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Are you using a bookmark link that no longer points to the correct page? Have you tried typing google.com or yahoo.com into the url window?

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok...it is fixed. It was actually PeerGuardian that kept my Mac from connecting to these particular sites. I removed the program and now there are no problems. How can I install PG again and keep it from blocking websites like Google???

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Unless I'm mistaken PeerGuardian is apparently Windows only, so keep it away from the Mac OS.

5. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually there is a version for OSX; I doubt it would have successfully downloaded had it been for Windows.