help please (continuous restart)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bloogersnigen, Nov 17, 2007.

1. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

My computer (g5 tower with leopard) started freezing and acting up so I decided to restart. Now, it continuously restarts. It will get to the white apple symbol, pause for maybe 20 seconds, and then restart. over and over. If I boot into safe mode, the fans turn on and it sounds like a small plane taking off, but doesn't boot up. Can anyone help.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. bolobar macrumors newbie

Don't know if the problem is the same but what you described happened to me. I finally disconnected my external hard drive and the computer booted w/o a problem. Reconnected HD and rebooted again successfully.
    HTH
    bolobar

3. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

That didn't work. When I went to reinstall leopard, the startup disc wouldn't show. I disc utilitied it and found it won't mount and "failed check". I have a time machine backup, but it doesn't backup my movies (takes too much space). I would rather not erase the whole disk and lose my movies. Any suggestions?
    Ben

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you can boot from your install disk or your Leopard disk, by holding down C on startup, and yet the hard disk fails a check, it's time to back everything up and try an Archive and Install of the OS on the hard disk.

If that doesn't take, then your drive may be hosed.

5. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

How can I back up everything if my drive doesn't even mount.