Help Please (cracked the screen big time)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rcstockman25, Sep 8, 2008.

1. rcstockman25 macrumors newbie

Here's the deal. I have an iPhone 3G. I dropped it and totally cracked the screen big time. I have a personal article policy for all my video equipment and my iphone out with State Farm. It replaces any of my stuff no questions asked. So I will get a check from SF for a new one.

Here is my problem. Can I go to Apple and get the 3G again at the same price 199.99? I am assuming so, but I can't find the answer anywhere! HELP ME!!!

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

No. The $199 price was the upgrade price and you can only get it when you are upgrade eligible. You may get lucky and only have to pay $399 (the early upgrade price) but you may also get stuck paying $599 (the no contract price).

But I can assure you that you will NOT get the $199 price.

Sorry.

BTW, check to see if your policy covers replacement cost (less deductible of course) as this should mean that regardless of whether the price you have to pay is $399 or $599 you should be covered as that is the replacement cost.

3. rcstockman25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for the quick response. Do you think they can replace the screen for a lower cost? Man this sucks!!!!

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

If you sign up for a NEW 2 YEAR CONTRACT you can get a 8gig for $199.
    Other wise send the phone to :apple: and they will replace the screen for $275? or something like that(Hope State Farm pays replacement value and not cost :D )
    Or your looking at new replacement for $499? on your existing contract.

5. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

That would require the OP to sign up for a brand new line as well. I don't think that is what the OP wants to do. Not sure if that is what you meant so I figured I better clarify.

6. rcstockman25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Man this sucks. Well I know when I put the phone on the policy I had to give them a value. I said $400.00, so I know I'll get that. It really cost that much to replace the screen?

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

State Farm will likely reimburse you for what you paid for, not how much it costs to replace one.

8. rcstockman25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea on a good site where I can replace the screen myself?

9. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

iFixit.com
    Prob. the best thing since sliced bread :p

10. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I'm not 100% sure thats the cost but thats what :apple: charges.
    Apple Warrenty FAQ