Help Please, dock wont be 3d

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dsong, Mar 19, 2012.

1. dsong macrumors newbie

So i changed my dock to 2d and then later updated my software to 10.6.8 and now i change it and restart the dock and all it does is restart it stays 2d!!! :mad::confused: I am sick of the 2d please help me

2. simsaladimbamba

Since you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, you could just pop in the grey Restore DVD or white Upgrade DVD and reinstall 10.6. No data of yours, nor settings and applications, will be deleted, and ****ed up modifications will most likely be restored. Next time you do something like this, make sure to have a backup or at least know, what you did to make the modification, as most modifications can be reversed.

Can this help?
    Change Snow Leopard dock theme to 2D, found via "snow leopard 3d dock to 2d dock"

3. dsong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

This is a school mac sooo idk if i can do that thanks though

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

How did you change it in the first place?

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Open the Terminal

Put in:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO
    Hit enter, then put in:
    Code:
    killall Dock
    Hit enter.

The dock will now be 3D.

6. simsaladimbamba

If the OP does that and it works, then I seriously question humanity*, as I linked to that very same method yesterday.

* besides the daily questioning of course

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

People don't like links. They want to just read the post and get the answer instantly.

8. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, I have seen that strange behaviour, probably called spoonfeeding, though links brought most people here.
    I don't know, why I can't get used to it, I have seen it the past three years of me being here.

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I find it really annoying though that people can't simply just click on a link.

10. dsong thread starter macrumors newbie

Tryed everything

tried everything yall said and killalled my dock at least 30 times so my mac is screweed

11. simsaladimbamba

So in the end, you don't know how you even changed the 3D Dock to a 2D Dock. Is that correct?

If that is the case and the instructions posted by chrf097 and me do no work, and you can't reinstall Mac OS X due to it being your school Mac, which probably did a custom install and you not having the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD, then you can only go to the school's computer administration and ask for help there and they will probably just re-image their custom install onto your Mac. If it comes to that, you should, really, you should, backup all your personal data and settings BEFORE that.
    Or you can live with it, as the Mac is still functioning, only that the Dock is not 3D, which shouldn't be that big of a loss.

Or, just a small or, you REINSTALL MAC OS X YOURSELF, as it will not delete any of your data or settings, and not any of the data the school put on, and the school's settings, and just get your 3D Dock back that way.
    And again, do a backup before, maybe use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to make a clone to an external HDD, that way, you can always restore to the 2D Dock in case something gets ****ed.

And backup. Just in case.