Help, Please (Ethernet Cable Issues)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kwabena, May 16, 2007.

1. kwabena macrumors member

kwabena

my powerbbook g4 cannot detect my ethernet cable. when i plug it into my friends ibook. it detects it. has anyone experienced this problem? does anyone have any idea how to solve this. i need to get online with my macbook. i fell like crying right now. please help me

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Does your Ethernet show up in System Profiler? In the Network Perference Pane?

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-kwabena

... and if it does show up in the prefpane, click it to check that it configures "Automatically", I suspect it's set to a manual setting for a speed different than your friends iBook will communicate on.

4. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

it doesnt show in the system profiler. network dignostics say built in ethernet is not connected.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-kwabena

Well, that's expected - it's th very issue you are experienceing. But can you get the the prefpane? "System Preferences/Network/Ethernet"

6. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

yeah. 'the cable for built-in-ethernet is not plugged in

but it is and works with my friends ibook

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-kwabena

Ok, making progress. On both machines go to the Network prefpane, and Ethernet. Then, in the Drop menu, select "Built-In Ethernet" then click the "Ethernet" button (yeah, lot's of "Ethernets").

In there is your hardware configuration - be sure both machines' drop menu there is set to "automatic". Reboot.

If that doesn't work, can you tell me the generations of the two machines, and the OS on each?

8. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

did as you said. i hope the problem isnt technical. i use a powerbook g4 running on tiger os 10.4.9, 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB DDR SDRAM.
    my friend uses ibook g4. running panther 10.3.3 1.2 GHz and 256 MB.
    i haven't experience this problem till today. i used the mac at a cafe some hours ago and was just fine. why now?

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-kwabena

Hmmm. Have you tried another wire?

10. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

i've tried two different wires and powerbook still cant detect it:confused:

11. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

I Still Need Help. I'm So Helpless Right Now. Anyone? Please

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-kwabena

Don't know what happened to my lst post, but I'll try again. You say the wire works on anything but the other machine? And it did until recently?

13. mmetzger macrumors newbie

Sounds like a possible hw issue -

- Look at the pins on the ethernet connector on the inside of your computer - you should see 8 copper wires / pins. Do any of them look broken / depressed / etc? If one is lower than the others, you may want to see if you can *very gently* bend it up a bit.

- I don't have a lot of experience with Mac laptops, but sometimes the actual physical port can come disconnected from the circuit board - this makes the chip recognized and available but not able to make physical contact. On some occasions, gently wiggling the port with a cable attached (by the connector, not the wire) can reseat it.

Obviously take this with a grain of salt and if you're in doubt at all take it in to get looked at.

14. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

I just realised that my ethernet port still works but only at the internet cafe. Is it a question of broadband speed or what. It use to work perfectly and now.......
    I tried it at the café and it's working, but using the same cable on my modem, network diagnosis says Failed.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-kwabena

Only if the Ethernet Preferences werent set to 'Automatic' as outlined above - but yes, if they were set to a specific bandwidth - the port may seem invisible.

16. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

yea. i realised that my mac wont even show that i have an ethernet cable connected when the settings are automatic but when use the maual i.p from the café, it shows i have an ethernet cable connected.
    my network uses automatic settings and i cant put in manual address........ i'm doing something wrong?:confused: