Help please :( Exernal hard drive doenst work

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kayleee, Nov 20, 2013.

1. kayleee macrumors regular

I had a 500 gb Seagate Free agent drive and it no more detected my my macbook air

neither by my windows pc

nothing happens on screen whatsoever,not even disk utility..nothing just nothing.
    only thing that can tell the HDD is working is the light coming on the HDD and it vibrating like it did when it was in intact condition ...when plugged in via USB.

I had lots and lots of important dta,can anyone here please help me?

:/

I have a strong feeling this happened because I did not eject the disk,,stopped ejecting disk on macbook since like 1-2 months and this is probably the result.

please ,please help, me ..

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Go to the store, and get an (empty) enclosure for this specific drive (probably SATA?). Perhaps the electronics of the Seagate enclosure are fried, and the drive itself is correct.

When you're there, buy an extra drive to back up the first one.

3. kayleee thread starter macrumors regular

i dont think I can go to a service centre where i live...i'm looking for a much quicker solution please...

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Not having a backup of important data is always a bad idea, it's only a matter of time before something happens to it.

You could try swapping the drive into another identical enclosure. Sounds more like the drive is corrupted, a real possibility when you share a drive among multiple OSs & computers.

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    try finding a PC repair guy who has a Linux machine.
    I had an issue similar to yours a couple of years ago, which turned out to be faulty controller.
    He was able to place HDD into another enclosure - as has been suggested - and access most data using the Linux machine.
    don't ask me how this worked, all I know is it did.

since then I've steered clear of Seagate and also WD, as the latter have an integrated controller.

if the light is still coming on and you can still hear 'normal' sounds then unless you've dropped the external drive, chances are your data is recoverable.

good luck!