Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Hello, my name is Ben. Today my new professional camcorder the hxr-mc50u (it was about $1,500, on the low end of professional) came in the mail. I have the camera recording in AVCHD FX (24 Mbps) 1920 x 1080 / 60i / 16:9. The problem is that when i export the hd video off of final cut express 4 i'm not exactly sure how to export it so that once it is exported it will have high quality and no horizontal lines from aliasing or interlacing.
Right now i'm trying to change little details about the export and basically guessing and checking but half the time i wont get good quality and half the time i will get the horizontal lines with motion. If anyone could please give me a few tips on specifically the best way for me to export my video it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Ben

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Calling that camera "professional" is quite a stretch. It's mid to high-end consumer ... I wouldn't even classify it as "prosumer" since it doesn't even have balanced audio inputs.

But be that as it may, you failed to tell us what your export is for. Are you going to DVD? For the web? Or for a playback device like an iPad or iPhone?

Each destination will have its own export requirements.

-DH

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Yes i know it is missing a lot of professional features, but it was listed under professional on a few websites. But i guess it isn't entirely properly correct to call it professional, my bad.

But when i'm exporting i would like to export for the web, so i just want a video that i would have on my desktop that can be opened with quicktime, i guess. I mainly would want to upload to youtube.

Thanks - Ben

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Ok, this is what it looks like with movement.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    737.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    685 KB · Views: 64

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Alright! When i put the de-interlace filter on the video it came out great, Thanks!

But now when i use moving text it still get a similar problem, i tried using the de-interlace filter again on the text but that didn't work as you can see. Should i try changing the specifications for the de-interlace, cause right now i'm using what it was set to by default which is upper (odd).

Any suggestions for what i should do for the text would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 64

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
I'm sorry, about that last post by "-DH", i don't quite understand what you mean, i think your talking about what it said in the second url, but i can't find the inspector. Could you maybe clear that up a little? Are you sure they have that in final cut express 4?

Thanks - Ben

jwheeler

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
I think he means that you should edit interlaced. Once finished, thats when you de interlace? Otherwise your de interlacing some footage twice??? But idk...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah I meant to say deinterlace when exporting. I thought you would know if you are using final cut.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Oh alright, i see, well i did try using a de-interlace filter that worked, but i still don't understand how you would de-interlace when exporting instead? Is it part of the exporting options? Could someone explain please?

Thanks - Ben

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I think interlaced video is the opposite of progressive scan video. The old television standard in the US was to project the odd and the even rows of pixels separately. I think this was a limitation caused by CRTs.

There is still a lot of this out there and, because it was a standard, it's still in many video editing and conversion software programs.

If you're using something like MPEG Streamclip to encode or convert your video files there are probably options for each conversion to "Deinterlace video" or not.

I hope this helps. I don't have FCS in front of me so I can't confirm it, but I think there are similar options in FCP and possibly Compressor to use during conversions from one format to another.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
The thing is i'm recording on an AVCHD camcorder which means i dont have to convert any files because they just go directly onto final cut express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.