HELP please: External HD shown as 'read only' on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by freeSia, Apr 14, 2009.

1. freeSia macrumors newbie

freeSia

i have a sony vaio external hard drive, and i formatted it using my PC, and it worked perfectly fine - i can read / write files to the HD.

however, it was shown as a 'read only' HD once i plugged it to my Mac.. i even tried it with my friend's Mac and the same thing showed.

i tried to repeat the formatting and plugging with both my PC and Mac over 10x time and it's only giving me the same result.

does that mean my mac is not compatible with the HD? :confused::confused::confused:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What is it formatted as, some of those MS formatting schemes are read only on the Mac. Specifically NTFS volumes.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It means the drive is formatted as NTFS, in order to write to it from a Mac, you need to either erase it and reformat as Fat32 or use a third-party tool like NTFS3G and MacFuse.

4. freeSia thread starter macrumors newbie

freeSia

Yes its formatted as NTFS. I kinda thought it was the problem too.. but there was no other option I could choose from under the menu.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can format it from the Mac, but make sure you take any files off of it first.

6. freeSia thread starter macrumors newbie

freeSia

Thanks alot! I'll check out MacFuse !! :D:apple: