Help please: FCP Frame size issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OmarioK, Apr 26, 2009.

1. OmarioK macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've recently run across a problem with the frame/sequence settings in fcp.
    I have one project which is fine, and the other one which is too wide/too little and gives me an usuable export.

Both videos came from the same hd camera. I have attached pics.
    - video settings for the 'breadmaker'
    - video settings for the 'tailor'
    - sequence settings for the breadmaker
    - sequence settings for the tailor
    - canvas image of the breadmaker
    - canvas image of the tailor

Please help!!
    O

Attached Files:

2. OmarioK thread starter macrumors newbie

tailor image

.....here's the canvas image of the 'tailor' which is causing me problems.

Hope you can help me readjust the video/sequence sizes or whatever it is, to bring the tailor in line with the breadmaker so i can export it properly!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

3. OmarioK thread starter macrumors newbie

... when trying to match the 'tailor' sequence settings to the 'breadmaker' settings, my tailor image looks like the below...

hope you can help!
    O

Attached Files:

4. -DH macrumors 65816

The Sequence settings for 'the Breadmaker' are "HD 1440x1280 16:9" which is a normal HD Sequence.

The Sequence settings for 'the Tailor' are "720x576 CCR601 DV PAL" which is a normal standard definition Sequence. The Properties for 'the Tailor' are 1440x1280 Apple ProRes 422. Why did you use this HD clip in an SD Sequence?

-DH

5. OmarioK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks DH. No idea. I hoped it would revert to the best sequence settings when i pulled my first hd clip in. i've tried changing my sequence to hd as per the above, but the clip changes to a frame size that doesn't fit.

any ideas?

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Start a new Sequence with the settings that match the clip. Drop the clip into the new Sequence. But don't copy the clip from the old Sequence. Move it to the new Sequence from the Browser.

-DH

7. DrRock macrumors regular

similar question

I found this thread while searching for an answer, maybe you can help.

I have footage shot in FHD mode on the JVC-GY7. I have converted it in MPEG Streamclip with the DVCPro HD 1080i60 setting.

I'm editing in FCP 6 with the following settings:

Sequence preset at DVCProHD 1080i60.
    In the sequence settings, the Frame size is 1280x1080
    Aspect Ratio is 1280x1080 (16:9)
    Pixel Aspect Ratio is HD (1280x1080)
    Field Dominance is Upper (odd)
    Quicktime Video Settings-DVCProHD-1080i60

I have several sequences already edited. I need one of those sequences to be converted to the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

I created a new sequence and adjusted the settings:

Under Frame size I chose custom and set the aspect ratio to be 854x356 which is, as I understand it the aspect ratio of 2.35:1

I copied and pasted my footage from the first timeline into the second.

I am able to use the scale option in the motion tab of the clip to resize my image to fit the frame, and the center function to reposition it in the new size frame.

When I output the clip from the second timeline and burn to a DVD, the image seems to be in the correct aspect ratio, but is way smaller than it should be.

I put a commercially manufactured 2.35:1 aspect ratio DVD into my player, and marked the aspect ratio with a crayon on me TV screen. When I play the DVD burned from my sequence it is much smaller.

Is there an easy way to correct the size of my clip that I'm missing? There is no option that specifies the 2.35:1 aspect ratio in the settings, I can only use custom.

Am I correct in my 854x356 size frame, or does that need to be changed? And if not, what portion of the frame is the actual correct viewing area for 2.35:1?

And is there a way to preserve the quality through all of the manipulating I've done?

Thanks in advance for your patience with this post...