HELP!!! Please fill out my survey for my grad thesis!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by buffettfan33, Mar 25, 2008.

1. buffettfan33 macrumors member

buffettfan33

As you may know, I am currently in the process of writing my thesis for my graduate degree at American University. As a part of this project I am conducting a survey on ringtones that you can access at:

http://ringtones.survey.sgizmo.com

I would greatly appreciate it if you could take the survey and forward it on to all your friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. so they can also take it. If you have a blog or a website, it would be great if you could post the link there as well. The more the merrier!

One thing to note. The link above refers you to the actual survey on SurveyGizmo, so don't be concerned that it is launching a different URL. This is 100% not spyware, malware, or any other type of "ware." Just a grad student looking for a little help... :) If you would like any other assurances before taking it, please feel free to PM me or e-mail me at: rm4991a AT american.edu

If you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks in advance for your help with this important research!

-buffettfan33

P.S. If you have taken the survey, please leave a reply so that people can be assured that there is nothing harmful about this link and so the post remains active. Thanks!

2. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Done it.

I just completed it, it wasn't too painful.

There was a mistake on there, where it said Other (please specify), but there was no where to specify. Not sure where though, about half way through maybe.

3. SoldOutMatinee macrumors regular

SoldOutMatinee

I too just completed it. not bad, not bad. about 7 minutes of your time, tops.

4. MLeepson macrumors 6502

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out your pole is rather useless for the term of random sampling and for all science reason.

6. buffettfan33 thread starter macrumors member

buffettfan33

Thanks to all of you for filling it out!!!

(btw timsutcliffe, I noticed that same mistake about an hour after I launched it, but for the sake of having accurate results I really shouldn't change it)

7. buffettfan33 thread starter macrumors member

buffettfan33

Yeah, I know... :( However, as a poor grad student, I don't have the resources to pay for a service that would get me a random sample. As long as I explain in my thesis the flaws in my methodology I should be okay (relatively speaking).

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's the one you can't specify by the way.

Finished survey ... waaaaaay to many ringtones to listen to. I was getting impatient with them by the end.

9. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

10. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I did at as well!
    There are some questions that concern USA residents only. But I am Russian.. :)
    By the way, buffettfan33, is it hard to do such web-site for such survey??? How did you make it? Was it expensive? I am writing my master thesis nowadays and it would be good to make the similar web-site for my survey... :)

11. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey, I've just finished the survey. I'm from the UK and the survey seems to be very US oriented - however I did complete the survey as best I could. Took about 10 minutes.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Same here. I don't like customised ringtones at all (not even slightly) and I felt that the survey was geared more towards people who do use custom ringtones. I found it difficult to register my apathy towards ringtones.

13. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

Done!

Good luck to you...!

Sorry but i couldn't hear the ringtones and I had to write many "No Audio", "No Audio", "No Audio".... :eek:

Quite fun anyway :)

14. leumluath macrumors member

Is the "ringtone survey" just a red herring for what is actually marketing research for political campaign(s)?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have to say that I also seriously doubt this is an academic survey. I can't imagine a thesis committee at a credible American university (and I think AU is at least modestly credible) would ever sign off on this as academic research.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I took it.

http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/sm-thud.gif

17. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oh I don't know - my pole has been pretty useful in terms of random sampling...ahem

sorry, ill-advised humor and grammatical errors...

19. buffettfan33 thread starter macrumors member

buffettfan33

It really is an academic survey. My grad degree is in Public Communication, and I am focusing my studies on political communication. While most people wouldn't think of it, ringtones are just another way of communicating information about ourselves to our peers.

Technically this isn't a thesis according to AU because we don't have to defend it in front of a committee, but it is my capstone paper that decides whether I graduate or not.

Out of curiosity mkrishnan, what makes you think that this isn't academic research?

20. buffettfan33 thread starter macrumors member

buffettfan33

I created the survey on SurveyGizmo (www.surveygizmo.com). Once I had written my questions it really wasn't that hard to do, just time consuming. The biggest pain was setting up all the show/hide questions so that you see different questions based on your response to a previous question.

Btw, I highly recommend using SurveyGizmo over SurveyMonkey (the other big survey website). I started off using SurveyMonkey but I just couldn't do all that I wanted to. Plus, Survey Gizmo looks much nicer too (at least in my opinion).

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! :)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry... it doesn't meet academic standards for rigor. It makes little or no use of the large, large sea of literature on proper questionnaire design and psychometrics. It's extremely poorly designed as a survey. I can't imagine it producing meaningful results. I apologize, and I wish you the best of luck, but....