Help Please- Firefox 23 problem!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteveinFlorida, Aug 14, 2013.

1. SteveinFlorida macrumors newbie

Hi....this is my first post on the forum...so hello to all... I've been a longtime lurker and I've read & learned many great things & also fixed some issues on this old (but still nice!!) black Macbook and also my other Apple prods. by doing so...so first a BIG thanks to all the knowledgeable folks & Mac guru's here... :apple:

I'm in need of a bit of help I can't find by a search here or elsewhere .... I just updated to Firefox 23 on my old black running 10.6.8 SL......all seems working well, fast & snappy etc.....BUT.... now when I open the Firefox preferences window I cannot see all of the very bottom part of the window :confused: .... and there's no green dot in upper left corner to enlarge the window to possibly see the last settings at the bottom...in left upper corner there is the red dot to close window & yellow to hide in dock ...but the green to expand window is just blank??.....

The window shows only about 1/8 to 1/4 of the last setting at very bottom ...but does show the complete purple help question mark in left lower corner.. why is this?? and I cannot expand the window to see everything????

I hope someone can help troubleshoot this....
    Thanks, Steve

Black Macbook SL 10.6.8
    iPhone4s 5.1.1
    Emac 10.4.11

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

First off, there is no green button for preferences in v23.

Second, have you tried moving the window around the screen to see if it is a positional problem?

3. SteveinFlorida thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for reply, did not know green expand button was not supposed to be there and work as usual....and yes, I've tried to move window up and around and that does not fix prob either.....I've tried starting in safe mode and removed plist and trashed it and what these two people said to try shown below.......

Maybe I should trash Firefox 23 and then do a clean install? I noticed when I first tried to install v23 FF it downloaded v22 first then it auto updated to v23???? weird it did this....I dumped v22 into my trash but did not empty it yet.....I'm kind of a Mac dummy still after 10+ yrs using them unfortunately....so complex answers people give me go over my head usually so all suggestions should be written for a Mac dummy like me! :( :eek:

Steve

first tried this as best as I could (a few times).....

Try to remove the Firefox plist file (org.mozilla.firefox.plist).

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060606082246983 How .plist files become corrupt and troubleshooting the results

Go to "~/Library/Preferences" and remove the plist file for Firefox (org.mozilla.firefox.plist)

then tried this also....

Hello,

Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.

(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)

You can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
    Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.

Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"

If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that issue

To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.

When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Ok, so it's not a graphics problem.

Trash and empty both v22 and v23, using something like a free App called Trashme. Emptying the trash is vital when chasing a problem because something problematic in the trash can still interfere with a reinstall.

Restart.

Repair permissions.

Download and reinstall v23.

Should be good to go.

5. SteveinFlorida thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the info you posted, I actually went to the Mozilla site and posted the same question and Got many answers from the moderators and administrators to try all sorts of technical things, I tried them all but none worked... I ended up playing around a bit more with it, but I did did not uninstall as you recommended because All else was working perfectly, and I'm also really not that advanced and didn't want to screw things up even more, Ha ha ha

Although I did figure out finally how to see the bottom part of the Preferences window with the last options for changing preferences,.....you have to click on the barely visible last pref. option sentence on the left....and that expands the window so you can read the last preferences option...

I hope this maybe well help anybody else who runs into this same problem

Thanks again if I have more problems I will do what you recommended and do a clean install
    but for now it's working !!!

Regards, Steve