Help please: Getting new Comcast wifi working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidinva, Mar 20, 2014.

1. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Changing from Verizon DSL to Comcast cable internet. Installed cable modem/router and things look ok, except can't open Safari. Macbook shows Comcast network connected. Tried resetting modem, followed network suggestions in System Preferences, and have searched on here and online. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

2. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

My first suggestion would be to call Comcast tech support.

If they just installed, they should be able to help troubleshoot. If you did the installation yourself, make sure Comcast initialized (provisioned) the cable modem for their network: you can't just plug it in, they have to enable it.

Good luck!

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

It is highly unlikely that Comcast would have done anything that would prevent Safari from opening.

Is Safari the only application that will not open or are there others?

Have you tried to force quit Safari and then relaunch it again?

4. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's probably it. Concentrated on setting it up and forgot about that. Thanks.

5. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was it. My duh moment for the day. Still couldn't activate online so called tech support. Turns out the cable from the wall has to be run directly to the modem in order to activate it. I had used the splitter provided by Comcast. Once the modem was activated, I can again use the splitter and have both wi-fi internet and cable. Changing from DSL so I noticed my first speed increase while updating apps on the iTunes store.

6. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

Glad to help, and welcome to the world of broadband. :)