Help please: HD4870x2 in MP 4.1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Nevado7, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nevado7 macrumors newbie

Like i wrote in my title i have some questions about installing a (Win) HD4870x2 in my new MP4.1.
    I just want to use it when booting into windows for gaming.
    So my question is, is the fan of the card working when using OSX because this card is ****ing loud so i would appreciate it if it wouldnt... ;)
    And i have read a lot about the "y pin connecter" i think i have some of those but i don´t know where to get the power because the cables of the dvd´s are s-ata and not the usual 6 or 4 pin connector.

Thanks for your help

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you can actually use it with netkas injector to run it in OSX, but only one core works so it is basically a single 4870

3. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

when you boot into Windows via bootcamp, do both the GPU's work?

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

ofc. it's just the osx drivers that lack x2 support.

5. Nevado7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don´t want to use it in OSX because the fan is running as fast as he can and its really really loud. I just want to use my MP as quiet as he is and when i want to play games start in windows using my 4870x2 with both gpu´s. ;)

So know my last question, i have seen some pics to connect the card but i don´t know where to get the power from fpr the 2 6 pin´s on the card or don´t i have to use them!?

Thx 4 your help i hope we get the rest too...

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

do you already have a graphic card that uses power cables?

7. Nevado7 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

9. Nevado7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used it on my pc before and the fan was heatcontroled so it wasnt spinning with full speed in 2d mode. And the GPU is a lot faster with 2 gpus than just with one... ;)
    Ok so i ordered 2 of them but i tried to take a look in the case but can´t find were to place those cable´s on the Mobo!?!?
    Do you have a pic were to place them!?

Thx 4 your help...

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I'm not sure you are following me. Natit does not REMOVE one of your GPU. It ENABLES one of them them to be used in OSX.
    you are trying to run:

gt120 in osx
    4870x2 in windows

I'm trying to explain you can run like this:

4870 in osx
    4870x2 in windows

aka alot more performance in OSX, and the same in Windows. The gt120 really is a crap card. You'd also save 100$ by selling the GT120. But hey, it's your choice.

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog-images/2007/03/17/connectors.jpg

11. Nevado7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok i got it thx... ;)
    I thought i had to flash my rom i did it with older cards in my pc so i thought i had the choice to use x2 in Win oder x1 in OSX but not both but ok.
    If i wouldnt use the 4870 in OSX would the fan still spin or is it disabled than!? Because iam using the OSX just for writing and a bit of PS4 so don´t need a monster of 4870. :D

Ok you can call me blind but i promise i don´t have those 2 pin connectors. I build my pc before myself including watercooling so i know how they look like but i havent found them...
    I have the Mac Pro 4.1 maybe the Mobo is different there!?

12. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I know that the 4.1 has them, but I don't know where.

In my 1.1 its far far to the top left

13. MacVidCards Suspended

easy

right under your nose

Attached Files:

14. Nevado7 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks, but this has to be the special cables, do somebody know where to get them in Germany!? Does the common Applestores sell them!?

Is the card working in OSX, i don´t want that the fan is spinning so it would be great if the card won´t make any noise...

15. Nevado7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm... isn´t it possible to order them from a german shop!? I can´t believe that those cables are just in UK an US for sale.
    Has somebody 2 Cards in a MP, because i want to know if the windows card is spinning during the work with OSX...

16. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The cables are specifically made for the Mac Pro - they don't exist in PC shops.

Yes, the fans are going spin. As long as the card is connected inside the Mac Pro, it's going to get warm. My 7300gt will get too hot to touch after a few hours, even if I am not using a display to it.

17. Nevado7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Cindori,
    so it would spin even if it won´t be used in OSX.
    Do you know if the gpu fan is controlable, so that i can get the card much slower to spin?!

18. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

if you edit ROM in RBE, you can set fan speed I believe