Help Please, i don't know what to buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sancara, Mar 20, 2014.

1. sancara macrumors newbie

sancara

Hi guys i'm new on apple, i bought an iPad and iPhone, now i'm interesting in buying a Mac.

Here's my problem, first of all i'm from Argentina and it's a tough to get apple products, so the deal is being accurate with the product.
    I want to buy an iMac or Macbook. I use the computer mostly for photograph's web desing, videos (watch and make). So i don't now where to start, the 27" iMac is beautiful, but the 13,3" macbook air top configuration is also great.
    I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea!!!! Can anyone make my shop a profit?

thanks a lot!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you need the computer to go with you? If so the rMBP is the best choice, if its going to sit on a desk, then the iMac is the better choice.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

If doing videos, I'd recommend stepping up to the Macbook Pros over the Air. While I have a (almost) maxed out air (2013 w/ i7), it can't compete with my wife's base 15" macbook Pro for rendering video. Even a 13" macbook Pro would do better than the Air for creating videos. Also, the retina display would probably be better for photography than the lack luster TN panels used in the Macbook Air (again I own a 2013 Macbook Air). If I were you, I would either go iMac if portability isn't of concern, or the 13" or 15" Macbook Pro. Frankly, if I had to do it all again, I would have gotten a 13" Retina Macbook Pro. They aren't that much bigger, and not that much more expensive. I know in Argentina the prices are quite different than here in the States, but I would definitely look at the rMBP if I were you IF you want portability.

4. sancara thread starter macrumors newbie

sancara

Thanks for the answers, really i'm thinking about everything haha. I like the iMac because of the dedicated video card, and the 15" rmbp it's too expensive here. As you said, i will cross out, the macobook air.

I'm waiting for the refresh on both...but i don't know when will it happen! I hope intel works out in the Brandwall!!

if you know someone who travels to Argentina, bring me the notice hahaha!
    Thanks a lot guys! I aim to bring a fresh perspective to this!

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Check out the 13" rMBP. The i5 2.4ghz model is still faster than the i7 Macbook Air (not by a lot) and has a much better screen for photography (do not buy the base 4GB model). However, if you are looking for "bang for your buck", the iMac probably is better but you will lose the SSD (unless you go with the fusion or SSD upgrade).

These are just my humble opinion though. The Macbook Air is a great machine, just the screen isn't great for photography (regardless if you get the LG or the Samsung) and only has 1 TB port (which limits how many monitors you can hook to it).

6. sancara thread starter macrumors newbie

sancara

I think i'll go for the iMac 27". Then i'll post photos! Thanks guys!