Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stewscrew87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
I have a Jailbroken, refurbished 8G iPhone 3G. Two days ago after making some App updates from the App Store, and once complete I turn off my phone for the night. It has not worked since. I hit the sleep/awake button and the Apple logo comes up for a few seconds then I get a Black screen.

When I hold down both the Home and Sleep/Wake button the Apple logo comes up twice before continuing to hold both buttons. Then the Connect to iTunes appears. I attempt to restore on both my computer and my laptop which I just added iTunes to it for the purposes of Restoring my phone.

During a Restore I recieved several error messages before the Connect to iTunes screen disappeared and now I am right back to square 1.

I have a diagnostic log of the error messages.

Does anyone have an idea? Has anyone even seen this before?

Help!

Stewscrew87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
Use Redsn0w?

How can I jailbreak my phone or use anything if the phone doesn't come on? When I press the sleep/wake button, I only get the apple logo for a few seconds then a black screen. Help!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
here

How can I jailbreak my phone or use anything if the phone doesn't come on? When I press the sleep/wake button, I only get the apple logo for a few seconds then a black screen. Help!

put it in DFU mode fallow the link. restore phone as new rejailbreak redsn0w or Spirit. your contacts and and things will all be restored though Itunes.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I have a Jailbroken, refurbished 8G iPhone 3G. Two days ago after making some App updates from the App Store, and once complete I turn off my phone for the night. It has not worked since....Does anyone have an idea? Has anyone even seen this before?
Help!

Same thing happened to me when I updated some apps and Rock apps on Sunday night.... thought I was screwed and would have to downgrade blah blah blah..... thank god for Spirit (pun inteded lol)
Simply restore with a fresh 3.1.3 and JB with Spirit. First make sure you have 3.1.3 on your comp, if you have to wait for it to down load your phone will "lock" back up again. (happened to me lol) To get the phone into restore mode, plug phone into itunes and keep holding down home/lock together until the "plug into iTunes" comes up on the phone..... NOW FAST!! Unplug 32 pin and plug back into phone. It may take a few tries but you can get it. If after a while (30 seconds) nothing happens with the phone, let go of both and do it again. It will eventually happen for you. Good luck!
(people will keep telling you to put it in DFU mode..... unless they have had it happen they really have no clue so just try my way and save yourself a head ache)

Stewscrew87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I appreciate all the suggestions! However, I'm still not 100% clear on the fix.

Army91c, Its sounds like you have experienced this issue. So, I want 2 be clear, so plz confirm a few things 4 me.

What software r u referring 2 needs to b on my computer? iTunes 3.1.3??

And I must hit only hit the Restore button once the "Connect to iTunes" screen pots up. Then download the "Spirit" JB to unlock it. It also sounds as if it took several attempts b4 it happened! I have lost 15 yrs of info & I'm currently sick! lol

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
No, iTunes should be version 9. or higher.

You need the newest iPhone firmware which is 3.1.3.

I might ramble but I'll get you through. You know how when you try and turn on your phone and the apple comes and then goes away after like 20 seconds? Do this and plug into iTunes.... Nothing happened with me so it prob won't with you but if it does then just restore.
I'm guessing nothing happened.... keep your phone plugged into iTunes. Hold the home button and lock button down at the same time. I had to do this several times (4-5 or so) for it to work. Hold them down for about 30 seconds each time. When the attach to itunes deally finally comes on, unplug your connector from the iPhone then plug it right back in, iTunes should then recognize your phone. (if you don't do it fast enough, within 5-10 seconds, your phone will re-lock and you will have to start over) It will pop up saying an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected yadda yadda yadda.... Now simply update to 3.1.3.

When done, keep your phone plugged to comp and close iTunes, open Spirit and execute. Done.

Stewscrew87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
Ok

Ok, I'm with u now... because the last thing I remember doing is updating Rock. Then I turn it off for the night. I figured out how to get iTunes to recognize it initiating this post but once iTunes proceeded through the "updating software" sequence, and it took about 10min, I then got an error report! That might have been a result of the iPhone shutting down b4 the update completes! H3ll I don't know!

I will try it again and post the error message I'm getting! Or maybe I might get lucky.

Seems like I may have something more going on as well. Anyway, I will keep trying! Until I've had enough then I'm just getting another 1 tho!

Thanks again! I''ll let u all know the final outcome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.