HELP PLEASE iMac to Android Streaming

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by skillzo1, Dec 27, 2013.

1. skillzo1 macrumors newbie

Please help me. I don't know if anyone has knowledge with any of the galaxy devices but they have an app named all share that i could pair with my pc. My android device would find all my files videos pictures etc etc on my pc and i could play them on and through my android device.

Is there anything available that can do something similar where my android device would find the files on my iMac and i would be able to play them?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. skillzo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks balam. Yes ive seen that link and many others like that brfore. It sucks that nothing is available.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I moved the thread to the Alternatives forum. Maybe other Android users can help.

Have you tried using a UPnP/DLNA server? There are several beyond the one I linked.

B

5. OhHaiThere macrumors regular

OhHaiThere

6. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Plex.

7. weespeed macrumors 6502

I use ES File Explorer. There is a LAN setting. Click on it and search the network or put in your IP address.
    You will have to enable file sharing on your iMac. I use it with my PC and my MacBook Air.

Best of all it's a free app.

Hope that helps.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

This. Install the Plex Media Server on your Mac, point it to your media file folders and you'll be able to stream to the Plex app on any Apple or Android device, or any other computer for that matter. What's even better is now with a Chromecast, you can stream directly to your TV--been using it on my holiday trip visiting family, has worked great.

Find everything you need here.