Help please in Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by small890, Jul 18, 2010.

1. small890 macrumors newbie

i just bought my first MBP 13" Yay! Anyway i bought this My Book Studio 1TB and i cant seem to make it work with Time Machine! i cant turn the Thing ON "Help Please"

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

the HDD probably requires its own power, instead of just the power from USB.

It probably came with an ac adapter, right?

3. small890 thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing that i cant turn on was the Time Machine =)

my problem is i cant make my Time Machine Work with My Book Studio

4. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

Time machine will not be able to work with most Externals you purchase unless there mac compatible and if so, they will be in Fat32 which can only store up to a 4gb file. So you need to format your drive and change the mapping to the Native format of OSX

You want to use Disk Utility to perform this function.

Click on the new external drive in the left pane of Disk Utility.
    Then you should first partition the new drive by clicking on the partition tab, making sure to use the GUID partition table if you plan on using this drive exclusively for MAC and if you ever may want to boot from this drive. (I have my external partitioned so that 1 partition is for Time Machine and the other is a bootable partition which can be useful for troubleshooting)

Once you have partitioned the drive you can click on the erase tab, select MAC OS extended (journaled) as your format then click on erase near the bottom right.

Once this is complete your drive is good to go!

5. small890 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you! so now i think i did it so how to i backup my MBP?

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

go to Disk Utility, click your harddrive in the sidebar. Then click the Partition tab.

change it from current to 1 Partition
    [​IMG]

Make sure its set to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled), name it, and then click apply
    [​IMG]

go to system preferences, click time machine, then click select disk, and choose your HDD.

7. small890 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

no problem, if you need any other help, just send me a PM, or add me on MSN (I know, windows service...eek). heres my MSN passport/ID or w/e its called: CJConnor5595@aim.com