HELP PLEASE!!!! iPhone 3G stuck on home screen.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WRIGHTRACING, Dec 9, 2010.

1. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

I bought an i3G from someone at RadioShack tonight. Got it for $100 instead of them selling it for $75. So I checked the phone when I got it from her and it was on version 3.0.3 the update after the 3Gs came out. The phone had also been jailbroken. Either way she done a "Erase all contents and settings", and the phone said it would take about an hour. It done the same thing my 3G I sold the other day done, but when it was done it is now stuck on the black screen with the picture of the apple. Doesn't have anything above it like PWNED, or any other noticeable jailbroken stuff. I figured I would do a factory restore on it, but wondering if there was anyone out there that had any other suggestions. Or should this work? I hope I can get it fixed and working so I can sell it and make some money. What could have caused this, or is this common in previously jailbroken phones.:eek:

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You should never hit "erase all settings". Now you need to put your iPhone in DFU mode. Hold down the home and power buttons until the screen turns black. Let go of the power and keep holding the home button. iTunes will then pick up the iPhone. Restore to 3.1.3 (you can download a 3.1.3 3g ipsw off iclarified). Jailbreak with Redsn0w then unlock with ultrasn0w.

3. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

Don't want to jailbreak it, just want it set back up as a normal i3G. I don't care if it even goes to iOS 4.2.1, I just can't do anything with it. As far as "erase all settings" thats what AT&T told me to do on my phone, and that is what RadioShack told this girl to do as well, to get rid of all pics and contacts.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Alrighty then. Put your iPhone in DFU mode like I said above (while connected to your computer), then restore in iTunes

5. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

Got it hooked to iTunes and Held both down until it powers off. Let go of the power button, and held the home button, but nothing happens. Anything else???

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Keep doing it until, an iTunes logo and USB pop up on the iPhone. Eventually it will happen after a few reboots.

7. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

Got it to work, and it should hopefully let me restore it...Thanks.

BTW I had to look up how to do it, from another link, but you had the idea for what I needed to do. Here is what I found.

Plug in your iPhone.
    Power it down by holding the sleep/lock button and sliding to power off.
    Once it's powered down, press and hold both the sleep/lock button and the home button for ten seconds.
    After ten seconds, release the power button but continue holding down the home button.
    If you did it right, iTunes will pop up a window (like the one below) telling you that it's detected an iPhone in recovery mode and your iPhone's screen will be black. If it didn't work, start from the beginning and try again.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No problem. It'll restore. Sometimes when you hit "erase all settings and content" the iPhone will hang up at the end and you have to restore to complete it.

9. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

Well got it done, and now it is at the screen on the phone that shows the iTunes symbol, and USB plug in. It says "No Sim card installed"

On iTunes screen after the restore it says "There is no sim card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to Activate. Please disconnect and insert a simcard in the iPhone."

So does this mean it is fixed and now I can sell it as having no problems? Which update will it have???

I don't have a sim card to put in there as I threw mine away from my 3G, and I have an i4 now. I guess I can use the wife's tomorrow if I need to, but either way as long as it's fixed and I can sell it is the important thing.:D:apple:

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah, you're good. It justs needs to be activated. If you just hit restore/update in iTunes, it will have 4.2.1

11. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks again for the help. I will now be able to put it on eBay tomorrow...:)
    P.S. iPhone FOR SALE

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You're welcome.

By low, sell high:cool:

13. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, wish I had a few thousand to sit outside of RS with and buy all of them. But getting the chance on 1 is better than none.

The funny thing is, I told her when they said they would give her $75, I said I will give you $100. She said ok. So I ask the wife to write a check to pay towards her phone and I would make the money back in about 2-3 days. She said I know but we don't have the extra cash in checking, and we still have christmas to buy. So I said, but I don't wanna pass on this deal. So I told the girl behind the counter that I had a CC that I could put it on, but I don't know how much is left on it. She ran it and it only had $62.00 on it. I had $25 in my wallet and gave that to her, and she said that was fine as it was still $12.00 more than they offered her. I gave her my number, and told her to meet me later and I would give her the difference as I still owed it to her. She said not to worry about it, but I told her it was up to her. I just wanted to be legit on the deal, and said you call if you want the difference, as it was the deal we made.:D:D:D

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd