Help please itouch not showing in itunes or on desktop

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by john Simons, Jun 12, 2008.

1. john Simons macrumors newbie

hi I had my itouch working with itunes and have all the good things on it movies sounds etc. Anyway I installed Leopard recently and when I went to put more images onto my itouch through iTunes, the iTouch doesnt display on either iTunes or my Mac's Desktop. I have used another ipod and it shows on both iTunes and the desktop. itunes software is up to date and the itouch registers on my PC at work. I have reset the iTouch without loosing any stuff. Any ideas??

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Have you tried to create and log into a new user account? Just to see if it recognises it.

3. john Simons thread starter macrumors newbie

Help please itouch not showing in itunes or on desktop

no as the itouch isn't seen by the Mac at all. when I connect another ipod that has an existing setting on the same mac it is seen by the Mac and itunes

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iPod touch won't show up on the desktop as it does not have a disk mode like the other iPods.

Make sure that you're running iTunes 7.6.2 on both the machines.

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I realise that it cannot see it but creating a new user account sometimes works (as the itunes settings are reset for the new user). This will then tell you that the problem is with the Itunes driver that is used to connect the iPod Touch.

You could also try to reinstall itunes by downloading it from the Apple Website.

6. john Simons thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for reply. no the mac has the latest version of itunes. Think at this stage may have to wipe itouch and start from scratch but would welcome suggestions to avaoid this. Might try reinstalling itunes?

7. alaceo macrumors member

Before you do that, I had the same problem once and it was just a missing or had a corrupted com.blahblah file if I remember right. If not missing it just needs reinstalled. It's something like com.apple.mobiledevice.somethingelse I believe in the Library. If you Google around a bit you'll find the file online - I found it in a forum where it happened to someone else. Sorry I can't be more help as to it's exact location. Try this before wiping anything though for sure.

Good luck!

8. john Simons thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks will have a root around before I delete everything.a real pain having to reset emails etc and dump movies and sounds back on

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

Wait, so your iPod touch shows up on the desktop? Whenever i sync mine, it doesn't appear on the desktop, but it does for all my other ipods

10. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Un-install and Re-install iTunes.

Your device is not being recognized because the driver which iTunes initiates in order to recognize iPod touch is missing or corrupt.
    This driver is called the 'Apple iBoot Recovery Driver' and iTunes initiates this driver every time you plug in iPod touch.
    If it's not there or the driver has become corrupt, iPod touch will not be recognized no matter how many times you try.

The only way to solve this problem is to completely un-install iTunes with something like 'App Zapper'
    then re-download a copy from Apple.com

This will ensure iTunes has a fresh un-corrupt copy of the recognition driver it needs to
    see and mount iPod touch in iTunes.

Good Luck.

R-Fly

11. john Simons thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good will try it and let you know how I get on.

12. new.at.mac macrumors newbie

hey i was wonderin is the appzapper free? if not how can i get rid of my itunes to start a new one...

13. okee0060 macrumors newbie

ipod not on desktop

ok... the only place I currently have my itunes library is on my ipod touch. I've downloaded senuti and broken helix to try to extract the songs from the ipod to my new mac computer and it tells me that no ipod is detected. I can see the ipod in itunes though. I've also tried reinstalling itunes. I'm going to go crazy in a second here... please help!