Help Please - iTunes hanging when running from a portable hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by artemidorus, Nov 1, 2009.

1. artemidorus macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to this, but I've exhausted my knowledge and I'm still getting some issues, so I'd really appreciate to hear from anyone who has had the same problems.

The Problem:
    iTunes is hanging when I'm playing some songs (only a small selection of them, I should point out but there are a few that it really doesn't like) which are stored on an portable hard drive. They usually just pause for a few seconds, but occasionally it crashes iTunes completely.

Spec:
    Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger)
    iTunes 9.0.2 (latest version)
    Iomega 'Select' 320gb portable hard drive (partitioned for PowerPC Macs)
    2gb RAM
    MacBook1,1 w/ Intel Core Duo

Progress:
    At present, iTunes is running from my computer, and the library is stored there, whilst the MP3 files are on the Iomega. I have tried running iTunes from the Iomega, and also tried storing the library there, but performance was even worse.

There is 270gb left on the Iomega, and more than 10gb on the start-up drive on the mac, so I don't think that's the problem.

Maintanence updates have been run frequently.

iTunes has no problem running songs from my iPod, and it has never had a problem playing directly of the computer's internal drive - these issues have only occurred on the Iomega.

There are only MP3s in iTunes - no movies.

So that's the story so far. If anyone out there can think of any reason why the performance of iTunes occasionally deteriorates when sourcing the MP3s from a portable drive, please advise.

Many thanks,

Pete

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Let me guess, harddrive is USB?

That's is your problem.

Firewire drives are much better for real world usage.

3. artemidorus thread starter macrumors newbie

Usb...

Er, yes. Thought that might be a problem. It has two USB connectors, but I'm assuming that might still an issue. That said, I've been listening to iTunes on random for about two hours this afternoon without a problem - it seems to be mostly on specific songs, but never in the same place. Might be worth investing in a better one though.

Thanks for your help