Help Please: Just bricked my ip4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by glocke12, Nov 14, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

This was/is a jailbroken ip4 running iOS 4.0 on the 1.59 baseband. I was getting ready to sell it, and deleted all the data on the phone from the utilities menu, after that it got stuck on the apple logo. It is now in recovery mode, and iTunes wants to update it to ios5.

Any suggestions on how to restore it so that it can be jailbroken with a tethered jailbrake and I can keep the 1.59 firmware?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Your phone did not brick, you look foolish by saying it bricked.

you did a very stupid thing by hitting that button with the jailbroken phone. You can do that.

Do you know if you have SHSH blob for your phone? If so, just put it into DFU mode and restore to that firmware. you will be able to keep the old 01.59 baseband.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

sorry, but not all of us are pros when it comes to this.

I have an SHSH blob saved...

If its not bricked what is it?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Because when you have a jailbroken phone, you can't hit that button, when you do that, it will hang. That function only work with non-jailbroken phone.

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

When something is bricked it means it is unrepairable. As long as you have the 4.0 blob you'll be good to go.

6. monkeylui macrumors 6502

Are you selling it jailbroken? Why not just put the current iOS 5 on there?

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

1. Download iphone 4.0 fw to your computer.
    2. Open TU, hit start TSS server.
    3. put your phone into DFU mode, Itunes will tell you it is in recovery and need to restore.
    4. Hit Shift + restore (if you have PC) or Option + restore (if you have mac), then click on 4.0 fw.
    5. Itunes will restore your phone to this firmware.

8. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I was trying to sell it jailbroken with the 1.59 firmware
    Guys, if it is not apparent, Im an idiot when it come to this stuff. Detailed instructions or a link to detailed instructions would be great.

9. mindyish macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I made this mistake too and all indie was he sleep and home and it rebooted and all was fine. Didn't even erase anything.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

because OP has a phone that can be unlocked to use with other sim, this phone is very valuable because of its baseband which is 01.59 where it can be unlocked with ultrasn0w.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, how many times do we have to explain that you cannot do an "erase all" on a JB iphone. It will always get stuck on recovery mode.
    Find out what shsh blobs you have available.
    In order to sell it unlocked make sure you DO NOT restore to the latest 5.0.1 that itunes will prompt you.
    You will have to create a custom ipsw using pwnage tool or snowbreeze in order to maintain your unlockable baseband and restore to that.
    Do you remember for what version you had blobs saved for?
    I'd try going with 4.3.3 since its an untethered JB but whatever you do you will have to restore to custom JB firmware, not stock.

That is false.
    After you do an erase all you cannot get it out of of recovery just by doing a hard reset.
    Wish it was that simple but its not, the phone needs to be restored and he has to do it right or the unlock is gone.

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

The forum should have a big banner telling members not to use that button with theirs jailbroken phone. We see this kind of post all the time. :D

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

actually the info is in the stickies at the top of this section. The ones nobody ever bothers to read. :rolleyes:

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

15. TC25 macrumors 68020

Wouldn't matter how big or how flashing the banner was.

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yeah it would :)

17. TC25 macrumors 68020

You'll need to post evidence, even anecdotal, that it would.

People ignore stickies and refuse to search or even read titles on the first page of threads. Why would you think they'd read anything regardless of how it was highlighted?

18. glocke12, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Ok, I did try this but it does not work.
    I keep getting an error message in iTunes that this it can't be restored because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable.

I also tried some restores with redsnw, and get error messages that say it can't recognize the 4.0 fw package i downloaded.

ANother update:

I decided to just go ahead and update to 5.01 and give the phone to my brother who doenst care if it can be unlocked or not.
    I still get this message in iTunes:" can't be restored because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."

19. blue442 macrumors newbie

if you want to upgrade to 5.0.1....
    and i warn you it sounds like you shouldn't because your phone is worth more without upgrading it...

you have to launch tiny umbrella, and turn off the setting that says save the SSH with Cyndia (i cant recall its exact syntax).

you should also check your etc/hosts file and make sure you don't have the apple server set to a local ip.
    [c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts]

20. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

How much you selling it for?

I'd be willing to buy it in it's state.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like your hosts file is not pointing to Apple.
    Try restoring it on another computer.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if you want to go original fw route you have to STOP TSS server & uncheck Host to Cydia on exit (advanced tab) on TinyUmbrella so you can install the official fw!

23. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OP wants to keep his phone baseband at 01.59 and he/she has all blobs save. So, he/she needs to have TU running and restore to 4.0 in order to keep this baseband.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think he's ready to give up and just go stock.
    But either way we dont even know if he got blobs for 4.0 or for what version if any.

25. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

thanks guys...

Many of the response came to late. I didn't have a whole lot of time time to spend doing this, and after trying many different things I found on the internet to try and save the baseband for this phone I gave up and just restored it to 5.0 on my PC at work.

Just as an FYI I did have the blobs for 4.0 on file.

Its not all bad, I'll still be getting around $300.00 for this phone via a private sale.

Sooooo....Just a few last minute words.

First off, it was a dumb move on my part. Even as I was pressing the delete key I suspected it was a bad idea. I should have done my research.

Second, thanks to all those who gave helpful response, even if they were too late.