[HELP PLEASE] Leopard is getting more and more problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 2Shae, Feb 10, 2008.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

Since the beginning of this I started getting these weird problems with Leopard and it seems like the list of problems is getting bigger and bigger.

Problems:
    • Safari plugins have disappeared and can't be reinstalled.
    • Fonts, that are on my iMac are not showing up anymore, like they're not even there and also can't be reinstalled.
    • The startup Sound (chime) volume sound has suddenly become very low (you almost can't hear it). Can't be changed either not with the volume buttons or with an app.
    • Speech, Alex voice doesn't work anymore.
    • iTunes was unable to change tags in some songs (but is fixed now thanks to Consultant, it was a permission problem on the iTunes Music folder, which came out of nowhere)
    • Disk Utility is unable to fix all permission problems
    • iTunes widget in Dashboard doesn't work anymore.
    • Programs like Onyx, LeopardMOD, Nightshift and a couple more don't work anymore do to an Applescript error (-1708 I believe)
    • Can't make a Boot Camp partition, because some files cannot be moved.

I'm afraid something really bad is going to happen which ends up, me loosing all my files/music/videos.
    I don't have an external Hard drive (yet) so backing it all up and doing a reinstall isn't an option right now.

Extra info:
    I use OS X leopard 10.5.1 with the latest QuickTime update; I've recently used Disk Warrior 4.0 (and 4.1) and also I've used TechTool Pro 4.6.1
    The problems started right after the QuickTime update, though I've used the other apps on the same day as well.

Please help me fix these problems :(

EDIT:
    So far it looks like the 10.5.2 update has fixed all of my problems!!!

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The bold part is the answer to your problems really.

Back it up. Now.

3. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm buying an external drive next week (probably the Western Digital My Book Studio Edition, 500GB)
    I'm looking for a good one with FireWire, but not to expensive.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Good drives those WD my books got one at work(only difference its the pro version)

Amazon do some good deals on them

5. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

Borrow money and buy an external drive today! If you care about your files you MUST have backup.......

6. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

Did you install anything other than the QuickTIme update? Any new app's installed in the days before the QT upgrade?

7. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Adobe Photoshop CS3, but everything worked fine after that.

I personally think it has something to do with Disk Warrior 4.0. I think things got screwed up after rebuilding the disk/files & folders checking/Permission Repair.
    But the weird thing is that it's happening gradually. Little by little things are braking and that is what worries me.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in answer to your Safari plug-ins and startup chime issue.

a lot of the Safari plug-ins had the wrong permissions to be used in the inputmanagers folder in Leopard. so a lot of these plug-ins have been updated to combat this issue. try updating the plug-ins or look here.

try resetting your PRAM by holding "command-option-P-R" on startup until after the first chime. this will fix up you startp chime's volume.

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm sure that only the recently released Diskwarrior 4.1 is Leopard compatible.
    Get that hard drive, back up your data and reinstall.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

From Alsoft's website:

What you can expect when running DiskWarrior 4 version 4.0 under Mac OS X 10.4.x and rebuilding a Leopard disk.

All features work as expected with two exceptions:

1) You should not use any utility to repair permissions of a Leopard start up disk while started from Mac OS X 10.4.x or earlier. Permissions will either not be be repaired or will be repaired improperly. This is true whether you repair permissions with Apple's Disk Utility, DiskWarrior, or any other third-party utility. Regardless of which utility you use, the same service within Mac OS X is used to perform the actual permissions repair so the behavior is always the same.

To repair permissions of a Leopard startup disk, be sure you've always started your Mac from Leopard. Alsoft also recommends using only the Disk Utility included with Leopard to repair permissions until an updated version of DiskWarrior is released.

Note: If you have used any utility to repair permissions of a Leopard startup disk while started from Mac OS X 10.4 or earlier, Alsoft recommends that you perform an upgrade install of Leopard over your existing Leopard install. This will restore any changed permissions to their original values without altering your data.

2) FileVaults created while started from Leopard are not visible to DiskWarrior 4 version 4.0 and cannot be rebuilt (repaired).

What you can expect when running DiskWarrior 4 version 4.0 under Mac OS X 10.5 and rebuilding a Leopard disk.

While not recommended (and discouraged), if you do run DiskWarrior 4 version 4.0 while started from Mac OS X 10.5 you might encounter some problems such as:

1) You cannot rebuild FileVaults or disk images.

2) In step 9 (comparing directories) of a rebuild, the progress bar might get to 100% even though the comparison step is not finished and will continue to execute.

3) When performing Check All Files and Folders the progress bar might get to 100% even though the check is not finished and will continue to execute.

4) After rebuilding a disk, DiskWarrior may report that some files or folders have had their permissions changed. This is inaccurate and the permissions have not been changed.

To repeat, an updated version of DiskWarrior that has complete Leopard compatibility will be released soon as a free download for existing owners of DiskWarrior 4 version 4.0

11. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Well at least I got my startup chime back...THANKS!!!

12. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I completely forgot to add that I can't make a Boot Camp partition, because "some files cannot be moved"

I've actually had this problem before, but I was usually able to fix this with the use of Disk Warrior (and this was btw the original reason for me to use Disk Warrior).