Help Please. Lost everything !!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S.Humdrum, Apr 12, 2010.

1. S.Humdrum macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook 5.6 version 10.4.11. Yesterday in a state of post flu I decided to change the name of my computer. First I went to: System Preferences, then: Accounts where I changed Name and Password. Then I went to: Security and changed the Master Password.

Nothing changed at that moment except the name of the computer and my password. This morning things had changed. Everything was lost. All music, additional applications, text documents. Everything.

I am hopeful though. I noticed that even though the computer has reinstalled and everything seems to be gone....I still have the same amount of space on the computer...Shouldn't the computer have more space if it deleted everything?

Please, please, someone please help me with this. I have a deadline and my text is gone.

S. Humdrum

2. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I'll get this out the way first, I'm assuming you don't back-up your data?

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'll assume no backup too. Go to finder, select your hard drive and use the search window to try and find a file you know the name of that you can no longer find. Give that a try.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

Are you sure you didn't just create a new user?

Did you look in your System Preferences under users and see if your old user account is still there?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So what user are you currently using?

Your old, the one you changed the name of, or another (new) one?

Btw, you didn't change the name of your computer, only the name of your account and home folder, as the name of the computer is changed in System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name.

Have you taken a look at Macintosh HD (name of the HDD, might differ, if you have chosen another name) / Users / "name of your account (user)"?

6. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I have done this in the past before as well. This is what worked for me as a fix. Change your account name / password back to what you used to have it as, same with the Master Password and everything else in Accounts back to what you had it at previously.

Since you want to change your account name, etc just back everything up first then change it all because you're overriding your account ownership which erases (removes) everything that isn't under that original account name. If you don't have a Time Capsule or backup hard drive buy iDisk like 10gb and backup to that.

Hope this helps